Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apparently I have the wierdest rules

I take my 5 yr old dd to a friends house she has a 2 kids my dds age.....neway.....the boy brought out toy guns (that didn't look very fake) out to play with and Emmey gets up to play and I immediately stop her. I do not allow her to play guns or weapons of any sort. No type of pretent play like that. Thats how kids accidentally get shot. We live in the DEEP south everyone has guns here. What if they find one and something bad happens ill never forgive myself. I want my daughter to know that guns and knives and bows n arrows are serious business and someone could really get hurt thats they ARE NOT toys.....Not to be played with. and their mom says god u have the wierdest rules let the girl play
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (351-359):
matofour
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I love that people ONLY let there kids play with colorful guns.
Seriously.
Teach your kid gun safety, cause if you don't, it's Plain stupidity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anthonys_mommy1
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM
if u read it i said i did not go into detail. as he does not know why the other person got shot. just the general message that guns are weapons and can kill. he doesnt know who either person is. i am not goi g into detail with a 6 year old about how someone who was told not to persue someone and didnt listen to the real police and wound up defending himself after the other person became confontational. he does not need to know all of that. all he needs to know are guns are not toys

Quoting calimom1123:

What you told your boy wasnt even truth. Its not because someone played with a gun they ended up shooting someone. Guns are for protection and if a bad guy has one you better bet I want one to protect myself. The whole zimmerman thing he wasnt going out meaning to kill someone just because he had a gun. He ended up having to use it in self defence. It wasnt some little boy he shot either. Thats such an overexaggeration!

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

I do the same with my boys. I've caught them making lego guns and have flipped out. I told my oldest (6) that guns are dangerous and that even pretending is not right. He also caught me watching the news recently with the whole zimmerman and martin thing and as I did not go into detail I told him the kid got shot and is now dead. I told him that some mommy and daddy out there have lost a son and he got upset. Hasn't played guns in a while. Thank goodness

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I was super like that for many many years.  I swear turning stuff into guns is in their DNA b/c my little boy would turn anything into a point and "shoot" thing and I would try to turn it into a "hose" or whatever.   Then a few years ago a good friend who I respect a ton got him nerf gun for his b-day.  When I lookee at her she said... dude he's a boy.

I also had to relax for water  guns but I could see about truly realistic looking ones... then again I remember all those cap guns etc. we grew up with and we still respected the real thing.

Sorry, guess I'm not that much help either.

CowboysAngel02
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I have the same rule! Lol:)

Quoting calimom1123:

I dont mind playing with toy guns I just make a rule, we dont shoot at people.

Gailll
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

If you have strict rules it makes it difficult for your children to play at other people's homes. You have to choose friends that have the same rules or have people over to your home. I agree and I did a combination of both. When the kids were young we had friends with the same values. As they got older their friends came to our house. They had asthma and that was a good "reason" for them to not go to other people's houses. They could say they were allergic to smoke, pets, or something they knew the family had. It doesn't work to go to other people's homes and make a big deal about their rules in their homes.

bookdragon
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

First to each their own. That said, if you TEACH your children that ANY gun (toy or real) is not to be pointed at anyone, that they aren't really toys, that people could get hurt if they are treated like toys then this shouldn't matter. All 4 of my children have been around guns since they were born & from the time they could move, walk, & understand that guns aren't toys & that they shouldn't touch them unless mommy or daddy say they're safe & hand them to them then they shouldn't have anything to do with them. When my oldest DD was 15 months old her father left an unloaded gun on the bed where she could get it. She came out into the living room & proceded to tell her father that he did a bad thing by leaving it where she could get it. She did not pick it up, she just let us know that it was were she could get it. She was very upset that he had left it where it wasn't supposed to be. Your friend should not have made a big deal about it, she should have just put the toys where they couldn't be played with while your daughter was there.

weirdkids
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

i live in ma and if the guns look real, my kids dont play with them. plain and simple. nerf/supersoakers... fine but nothing that can be mistaked as real. i hear way too offen about kids being accidentally shot by cops because the cop mistaked their toy for the real deal. not worth the risk

jacrawford
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:14 AM
I don't allow it either but there are a lot of things I don't allow. One of my exs held a gun to me so there is no way I would allow her to play with guns & I'm a lil annoyed that my bro bought his 5 yr old son this last christmas a 22 I was like seriously!!! I don't allow the words stupid, ugly,fat, retard, gay any type of hate word is not allowed meaning spongebob has been banned from my house permently. I know I may get bashed for this but I would seriously rather hear my 5 yr old say oh shit than call someone stupid. But she knows that words like shit & damnit are adult words & stupid is a mean word. If I hear a kid say those words to my dd she is NO longer to play with them cause I don't want her to be a bully or be around bullies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammajigglypuff
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I never let my son play with guns when he was little and that was before they looked real.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)