Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apparently I have the wierdest rules

I take my 5 yr old dd to a friends house she has a 2 kids my dds age.....neway.....the boy brought out toy guns (that didn't look very fake) out to play with and Emmey gets up to play and I immediately stop her. I do not allow her to play guns or weapons of any sort. No type of pretent play like that. Thats how kids accidentally get shot. We live in the DEEP south everyone has guns here. What if they find one and something bad happens ill never forgive myself. I want my daughter to know that guns and knives and bows n arrows are serious business and someone could really get hurt thats they ARE NOT toys.....Not to be played with. and their mom says god u have the wierdest rules let the girl play
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
Crazy-Steph
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Holy crap.  Cops and robbers/cowboys and Indians.  These games have been around forever.  I have never come across a real gun and tried to play with it.  That's why you have to actually teach your kids - real from make believe.

Quoting sarahtessa:

I don't encourage violence in any form. There is no need to pretend to shoot or kill anything. There is nothing "fun" or "playful" about death. Allowing that kind of play is why children who find real guns think it's ok to "play" with them.

Guns for hunting use should be stored UNLOADED in LOCKED gun safes with trigger locks, and until children are old enough to understand that gun accidents KILL they should not be allowed to handle them, and they should only be handled under adult supervision.

Quoting melissa632:

She said NO TYPE of pretend play. Pretending a stick is a gun is a type of pretend play. The act of shooting is still going on.

Quoting sarahtessa:

Sticks do not resemble guns, and there is no mistaking a stick for a gun or a gun for a stick.

Quoting melissa632:

Yeah. I tried that. They just pretend sticks are guns. If there's that many guns around where you live, maybe you should teach gun safety early on.

circle_of_life
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think playing with weapons is nifty.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM
6 moms liked this

This - EXACTLY!

Teach the kids the difference between real and fake. Movies and life. Video games and real life.

I tried the whole NO GUNS things.That is especially funny since DH is a police oficerand I'm an NRA instructor. As PP said, everything became a gun or knife. They still played cop/robbers, and cowboys n indians.

Finally we said only NERF and NON-REALISTIC guns, waterguns, neon coloirs, fine.

We taught real vs fake and handgun safety before the kids could walk. DH showed them his firearms, as did I and we taught what to do if you find one in the street/wild, if a firend wants to show you a firearm, if they ask to see your family's.

Teaching a child about gun safety takes the mystery out of it and it's not that "forbidden" thing that they then feel the need to be sneaky. THAT is when accidents happen. NOT when children are taught and supervised with firearms.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Holy crap.  Cops and robbers/cowboys and Indians.  These games have been around forever.  I have never come across a real gun and tried to play with it.  That's why you have to actually teach your kids - real from make believe.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Concerned101
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

My siblings and I had toy guns as children, but times have changed! If the children want to point fingers and/or pretend sticks are guns at home, that would be OK, in my opinion. My own son's school does not allow this type of play, having a NO TOLERANCE policy. In fact, my son got into serious trouble in kindergarten for holding up his toy airplane and saying, "Bang, bang!" Apparently the kids should not pretend they are fighter pilots, either. The teacher confiscated his plane, a prized Christmas present from his dad, and refused to give it back.

I would like participants on this site to know about an eighth-grade boy, Jaime Gonzalez, who somehow appeared with an unloaded pellet gun at a middle school in Brownsville, TX, in January 2012. The gun looked like a "real" gun, and the boy was shot dead by police. This was an eighth-grader, mind you. Would the police have shot a first-grader in such a circumstance? I wonder and shudder at the thought! The parents said they never bought their son guns of any kind, and for all anyone knows, another kid put him up to it as a prank. If so, the prank turned deadly. These days schools are so "hyper" about the possibility of guns on campus, whether they are toy guns in kindergarten or real guns,

Personally I think the schools have gone overboard, but who wants to risk losing a child? I think it is better if children learn to center their play around something besides guns at a very early age and never get interested in guns at all. 

bmw29
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Kids can make a gun out of anything. We also live in the south where most everyone has at least one gun. We have several ourselves but we taught gun safety early. Ds know the difference between real and fake and he knows exactly what a real gun can do. He won't touch a real one without supervision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I never allowed my son to play with guns either when he was growing up. He now plays with real guns & goes hunting. I thought I had weird rules then also, I wouldn't even let him have squirt guns. Boy, do I hear from him now about how stupid he always thought that was.

Ultra_
by Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Agreed. It is kind of a weird rule. Not the weirdest.

Quoting melissa632:
If there's that many guns around where you live, maybe you should teach gun safety early on.

soontobemommie3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Same here.

Quoting bmw29:

Kids can make a gun out of anything. We also live in the south where most everyone has at least one gun. We have several ourselves but we taught gun safety early. Ds know the difference between real and fake and he knows exactly what a real gun can do. He won't touch a real one without supervision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

We do let them have nerf guns. We talk to them about not pointing them at people, that they are dangerous, ect. They also have show a bow and arrow at a friends(I woulod love to get them one), have shot our bb gun, and we will take them to shoot more often once they are bigger. I think it is best for them to learn gun saftey that way rather than be told don't touch guns, or pretend to use guns, ect. I have hunted since I was 6-7 years old.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck enforcing that rule in the years to come.  I live in gun land and my boys know gun rules.  We have stressed gun safety since they were very little.  I couldn't imagine policing every moment that they are playing to be sure that they didn't turn any little thing into a weapon, but then again I don't hover over my kids.

BTW - I only know of 1 kid who shot himself with a gun and he was the kid that was never allowed to play guns.  He saw a gun and was very curious and shot himself in the foot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)