Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bus or no bus?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

My 2 oldest kids start school next school year (August) we recently got the packets to fill out and my DH and I are arguing over signing them up for the bus. This is the situation: I am a SAHM and I have my own vehicle, I only have 1 other child she is 18mths right now so by the time they go to school she will be teetering on 2. We live exactly 1.2mi from the school, one 2 lane road, no stops signs nothing. The bus stop is at the end of our street. MY problem is this. The middle school and elementary school are attached so they have the same bus for both. So my Kindergartners will be riding with 8th graders etc. I see no problem with taking my kids to school, I have to be up already to get them going I would have to get myself and my other DD dressed because even if they took the bus I would have to take them to the bus stop and wait. Why can't I take that time and take them to school? My Dh point is that they need to grow independence and taking the bus is part of that. So what would you do?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

B/c most kids love to do so, I'd let them ride the bus. You can always switch to taking them if there are issues later on.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I would drive.

If there is another mom with kids of similar age, maybe you can consider carpooling. That is what we do. I drive mornings, she drives afternoon. We have 4 girls in the car, and they walk in the school together.

RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM

To allow the children to ride to bus, you have to let them ride the first week of school (head count). After that, they are not required to do so but in case of an emergency, there will be no issues when the need to ride to or from school. As far as the children riding with older children, normally the younger children sit up front. And what is wrong with riding the vus with older children anyway? Will you not allow your child out on the playground when there are older children out there?

Mommynwife26
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I do. But I also remember what it was like riding the bus in junior high and what happened on the bus. Maybe it was because where we grew up and it's different here but there were tons of sex activities and fights going on. I had bad experiences on bus starting when we started riding it when I entered the 6th grade. The bus driver can't pay attention to the road and what goes on, on the bus.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

To allow the children to ride to bus, you have to let them ride the first week of school (head count). After that, they are not required to do so but in case of an emergency, there will be no issues when the need to ride to or from school. As far as the children riding with older children, normally the younger children sit up front. And what is wrong with riding the vus with older children anyway? Will you not allow your child out on the playground when there are older children out there?

RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Busses are equipped with cameras and many have an aid riding along.  If it were me, they would be on the bus with the price of gas. GL with your decision.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

I do. But I also remember what it was like riding the bus in junior high and what happened on the bus. Maybe it was because where we grew up and it's different here but there were tons of sex activities and fights going on. I had bad experiences on bus starting when we started riding it when I entered the 6th grade. The bus driver can't pay attention to the road and what goes on, on the bus.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I would sign them up to ride the bus.   What happens when you a sick with the stomach flu and can't even make it to the bathroom let alone drive to the school for your kids?  Besides that, they most likely will have fun riding the bus with their friends.

As far as sex acts on the bus, I won't say that it never happens, but I've honestly never heard of it happening.  Especially not with the security cameras on the bus watching everything that the kids do.

millersmom13
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I homeschool, but if I was in your situation I would drive them.

millersmom13
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

IMO kindergarten and 8th grade is too big of an age difference to ride the bus together. Most older children will not give a kindergartener a hard time, but then you have one or two kids who love to start trouble.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

ZanyCracko
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I would let them ride the bus. Kinder usually sit in front so you shouldn't worry about the older kids picking on them. They need to find their own way to fit in the group. This is where you have to start letting go of them.

My second grader has always loved the bus from his first day of kindgrten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

My son rides with DH because he teaches at the high school.  The elementry school is attached to the high school here.  So kids K-5 thru 12th grade ride togather..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN