Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's to come next?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

My DD is in kindergarten, and she tells me the other day that a boy in the afterschool program (1st grader), mentions he likes to kiss girls and that he wants her to be his gf......... WTHeck!!!!! At first I'm overreacting and thinking the worst....... She's 6, and boys have coodies is what I told her. It didn't work though....... and now she tells me everyday something new about this boy. If I have to deal with this now, what's the next thing to come?

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Marriage!  lol

Have you tried talking honestly with her?  Letting her know what is and isn't appropriate for 6 year olds to be doing will be much more effective in the long run than telling her an old wives tale about cooties.  

Remember too, that at this age kids are friends with boys and girls and that their actions aren't usually sexually motivated like an adults would be.  Little kids hold hands because that is what their mommy does with them every time they walk somewhere.  Little kids kiss each other because that is how mommy show them that she loves them and cares about them.  They are imitating what we have taught them as far as treating people that they care about, which now icludes school friends.  So please try very hard, to not make something that most likely is very innocent into something sexual in nature.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I think Steel gave you some great advice.

I also don't think it's unusual at that age. My son had a classmate that would talk about wanting to kiss girls in their grade at that age too.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I agree with EVERYTHING here.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Marriage!  lol

Have you tried talking honestly with her?  Letting her know what is and isn't appropriate for 6 year olds to be doing will be much more effective in the long run than telling her an old wives tale about cooties.  

Remember too, that at this age kids are friends with boys and girls and that their actions aren't usually sexually motivated like an adults would be.  Little kids hold hands because that is what their mommy does with them every time they walk somewhere.  Little kids kiss each other because that is how mommy show them that she loves them and cares about them.  They are imitating what we have taught them as far as treating people that they care about, which now icludes school friends.  So please try very hard, to not make something that most likely is very innocent into something sexual in nature.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM
*bows to Steel*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!  bow down

Amazing things happen when I get the correct amount of coffee running though my veins.

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Steels advice totally rocks :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)