Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is This Taking Political Correctness or Censorship Too Far?

School Destroys Student's Mural for Depicting a Traditional Family

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

muralSheesh. Apparently kids today just can't win, whether they're conservative, liberal, or anywhere in between. Seventeen-year-old Liz Bierendy, a student at Pilgrim High School in Rhode Island, was assigned to paint a mural meant to "depict the life of a man."

So what did she paint? A perfectly acceptable, inoffensive scene showing the various phases of a boy's life -- as a toddler playing with blocks, a bigger boy with a guitar, a teen wearing a baseball cap ... all the way through graduation and ending with the boy as a man with a wife and son.

See what I mean? Perfectly acceptable and inoffensive, right?

WRONG!

Bierendy's mural was apparently SO offensive that the school decided to paint over it! On what grounds, you ask?

Apparently, “some of the members of the Pilgrim High School community suggested that the depiction of a young man’s development from boyhood through adulthood as displayed may not represent the life experiences of many of the students at Pilgrim High School.”

Yeah. That was my reaction, too.

So let me get this straight: Kids are just as likely to get in trouble for aligning themselves with "mainstream" lifestyle choices as they are with "alternative" ideas (i.e., the "Jesus is not a homophobe" t-shirt kid)? What are they supposed to do, exactly? As the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Maybe we should amend that to "You can't please any of the people any of the time."

If I was Liz Bierendy's mom, I'd be furious right now. The school's response to her mural is no different from censorship in any other form (apart from the fact that it was a bit unexpected). Particularly because I'm not sure what life lesson, if any, can even be extracted from this unjust, unpleasant experience. What's the take-home message? Besides "people are idiots."

I hope Liz Bierendy becomes a famous artist one day, that's all I have to say. Because this experience should inspire her to make one hell of an offensive mural.

Why do you think the school destroyed this mural?

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-15):
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Because they are idiots?!

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I read an article yesterday that said she was allowed to repaint the scene that was covered and that it wasn't a school decision, it was an individuals decision that happened to reflect on the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM
What a bunch of LOONS!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Tabitha
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Ok...I am a mom in a "non-traditional" (read 2 mom) family.  I am NOT offended by the mural as it is listed as being done...I mean..HELLO...it was a depiction of the life of A man...not EVERY man.  So, yeah..someone over-reacted.

BUT ... then there is that tiny part of me that says in (my sick twisted brain)  maybe the mural was not yet complete...I mean...it did not yet show the panels with the person being overworked and becoming an alcoholic, being left by his wife and then meeting and falling in love with a man at an AA meeting.  (Assuming he is a law abiding citizen all his life and he got to skip the part with jail time for illegal substance abuse.) 

Honestly, people need to get a life. 

Elaine

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Based on what this says, yes it's taking it too far. 

But the article in the link with the picture of the mural doesn't have the same info as the OP. I tend to think there's more to this story. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)