Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Mothers of 7-9 year olds.

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
  • 82 Replies
What chores does your child have? My 8 year old thinks he has too many chores! Here is a list of his chores:
Homework
Pick up toys
Get laundry out of the dryer on laundry days.
Put water and soda in the refrigerator
Help carry in groceries
Some of those are not daily but that is what is expected of him. Is that too much??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
6 moms liked this

I have 3 boys. They are 8, 9 and 10yrs old.

We have chore jars in which they pull sticks for the chores each day of the week. The amount is based on what they roll on a dice. And there are freebies, trade a chore, etc, included in the sticks. Here are a few examples...

sweep (insert room)

dishes

trash

wash windows

clean woodwork(insert room)

clean toilet

clean sink

clean tub

They also have responsibilities that are not considered chores. Such as cleaning anything and everything in their room, putting away toys, books and cleaning the pet cage(each kid has an assigned day), hygiene's, and putting away laundry. They are expected to help carry in groceries and restock missing things in the fridge. They are also expected to complete homework after school.

And they do all this without any payment because we are a family and this is how we help keep the house in order. We all pitch in as a family.

jenandpetersmom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Peter has to put water in the fridge, vacuum up bird food with a small rechargeable vacuum. Keep his room clean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dark_xiii_angel
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Mine doesn't get paid either. I agree we are a family and need to work together.

Quoting kmrtigger:

I have 3 boys. They are 8, 9 and 10yrs old.

We have chore jars in which they pull sticks for the chores each day of the week. The amount is based on what they roll on a dice. And there are freebies, trade a chore, etc, included in the sticks. Here are a few examples...

sweep (insert room)

dishes

trash

wash windows

clean woodwork(insert room)

clean toilet

clean sink

clean tub

They also have responsibilities that are not considered chores. Such as cleaning anything and everything in their room, putting away toys, books and cleaning the pet cage(each kid has an assigned day), hygiene's, and putting away laundry. They are expected to help carry in groceries and restock missing things in the fridge. They are also expected to complete homework after school.

And they do all this without any payment because we are a family and this is how we help keep the house in order. We all pitch in as a family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JackelineEllis
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
bump

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old and my 9 year old clean their rooms, make their beds, sweep a bathroom each week, take out small garbages, take their dirty clothes to the laundry room, put their clean clothes away, help carry in groceries about twice a month we have them wash some dishes, they occasionally clean up dog poop, help bring in fire wood and help stack fire wood. Sometimes they help with other things too

dark_xiii_angel
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I think my 8 year old could use some more responsibilities. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My 8 y/o has to straighten up his rm, set the dinner table, put away his laundry, and odd things as he's asked. When we're camping in our camper, he's in charge of the chocks and putting the slide in/out. 

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think that is enough.  Honestly the only " chore" he has is cleaning his toys and taking the laundry out of the dryer. 

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM
my 7yo keeps her room clean and the toys picked up, and helps me out by emptying the dishwasher or moving the clothes from washer to dryer, or out of dryer when i ask. but nothing until her homework is finished. IMO, school is her job right now, I'm a sahm and I feel it is my job to keep the house in order. I'll be adding to it for the summer, and she'll be helping out a little more next school year with our new baby coming in sept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dark_xiii_angel
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Thank you! I think I'm going to slowly add a few more things to the list.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

I dont think that is enough.  Honestly the only " chore" he has is cleaning his toys and taking the laundry out of the dryer. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)