Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

OT: Gas heat smell

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM
  • 13 Replies
Well, I am sitting/sleeping in a cold house tonight. My SO turned the heat on and had it running. After it was on we went upstairs to go to bed. When we got upstairs the whole upstairs smelked like gas (we have gas heat). So we turned off the heat and chkd the fire alarms and Carbon monoxide detectors. We called for a service person to chk it tomorrow.

In the meantime, brrr it is cold! I am under 5 blankets and in fleece pjs. My boys are still little hot boxes but they are under 2 blankets tonight. I hope they get it fixed b/c it is cold; we had a skiff of snow this AM.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Wow! Where are you that it is that cold? I would die. Thanl God I am in Hawaii. I have shorts & a tank top as I curl under a very thin sheet to sutf cafemom til I fall asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

we're in that mini-heat wave so this weekend there are no cold nights luckily.

Glad you all caught it before something "bad" happened!

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thank goodness you caught it. My heat isn't on right now. We are going to be up to 80 today.

STKsMomma
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Hope everything is ok! I know when we had gas heat it always smelled for a couple hours after we turned it on. Esp if it hadn't been on for a while! I hated it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Our heat was not running for a few days then a cold front came in dropped us from 70s to 40, then 30s at nightand snow flurries. We were out all day so it was off and when we came home it was 65 and cold so we turned it up and it ran for about an hr.

The 2nd floor was fine but the upstairs got smelly. I hope it is just normal gas heater that had been off for a few days kinda smell. Like when I use the oven or our gas stove. Those always smell gas at the start too.

Quoting STKsMomma:

Hope everything is ok! I know when we had gas heat it always smelled for a couple hours after we turned it on. Esp if it hadn't been on for a while! I hated it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Colorado....it will be back to mid-70s by Wed.

Quoting chinosruca:

Wow! Where are you that it is that cold? I would die. Thanl God I am in Hawaii. I have shorts & a tank top as I curl under a very thin sheet to sutf cafemom til I fall asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Wierd weather all over!

Glad you caught it and are getting it checked.

When we moved into this house (we are renting) it was summer and hot, so we hadn't run the heater. turned it on and got NOTHING. We had to wait a week or so to get a tech out. OMG ...brrrrrr We were lighting fires in the fireplace and baking a lot of treats LOL

Racheldora
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Ours does that every year- I think it's normal. As long as your carbon monoxide detector is running it should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM
It wasn't normal. We don't have a gas leak but the ignitor on the furnace is out so it just keeps sending gas hence the strong smell.

Hopefully someone can look at it and fix the heater tomorrow!

Quoting Racheldora:

Ours does that every year- I think it's normal. As long as your carbon monoxide detector is running it should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Any smell of gas in your house is NOT normal and should never be treated as normal.  Yes, there can be an odor when you first start up the furnace for the season, but that is not the same as the smell of gas.  Also, you can have a gas leak and your carbon monoxide detector won't go off as gas is not carbon monoxide.  Carbon monoxide is the bi-product of the burning of fossil fuels.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN