Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 year old is brutally honest

Posted by   + Show Post
My 10 year old son has to tell me every thought that comes into his head. Plus, he always thinks he has thought or done something he shouldn't have. Lately he says he's sorry that a thought came into his head that I'm fat. I am getting sick of hearing this. Yes, I am overweight, so it hurts my feelings. He doesn't seem to feel the need to tell other people (including my husband) what he's thinking. He saves all of this for me.

He's very caring and generally considerate. He's an only child, so he seems to me to be quite mature (although on the playground he's probably just one of the kids). I don't want to make this bigger than it is, but I want to handle it now so that it doesn't continue. This has been going on for about a month.
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-13):
lilypad1971
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks Baitandswitch, we have had a chat tonight after school and he is so upset with himself for thinking mean things. I mentioned that maybe I would have him talk to the Youth Pastor at the church we (sometimes) attend. He's not so sure about it. So, I asked him to tell me a few of the "bad" things he thought of today that had nothing to do with me. So, he tells me that he thought of one of the boys whose clothing was all red and how he doesn't really like to wear red clothing, he thought about how much bigger than him one of his classmates was, and also how one of the supply teachers was kinda mean and he was glad she wasn't his teacher all the time.

So, I had to explain that these are natural observations, that we all think of things like this, and as long as he does not speak out about them, that he's fine and is being to hard on himself.

I think I set myself up to have him mention that he thinks I'm fat (oh, how I hate that word). When he is mopey, I always ask what's wrong and I tell him that he can tell me anything. Geesh, the stress over all this is crazy - we will get through this, and many other trials over the next years.

Thanks for all your words. I appreciate the caring community here. Maybe I'll head to a thread of healthy eating next!
jennsbowsnsuch
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM
My mom said we werent born with a filter that our moms put it there. We have the discussion almost daily that just because you want to say something doesnt mean you should. If its hurtful to anyone then you shouldnt say it. Its a struggle but I want emmey to be considerate of others and how they feel
mommynac
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Ahhh. He sounds like a sweet, senstive child. Maybe he's worried about you? My DS is an only, and we have a really close bond, so I get it. Does he understand that his thoughts are private? That no one can hear them but him? I think maybe explaining to him that having these thoughts is ok, and that it's better he keeps certain thoughts to himself. I have all kinds of random thoughts all day, but I'm sure you all don't want to hear them (lol)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)