Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Random question..why do I feel the heat so much more?? LOL

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey! This is completely random but I was curious about something..I have grown up most of my life in CT where of course we have summer temps but only for say 3 mos if that. Now I know people who live in say Miami where temps are higher as well as humidity alot of the time. They say it's fine, they are used to it. Is this true are some people like gentically able to accustom to higher heat and humidity than others? I went to school in GA for a while and it was very humid. I can't say I loved that but when I got back here I noticed heat wasn't as big of a deal. Sure I now will complain but like not as much as someone else. Did my skin just thin out as some say? My son's father was born in Honduras in Central America where it is mostly all hot and humid. My son however cannot stand the heat but his dad is fine with it. Is it cause he was born there? Hmm..might be a silly thing to wonder about but I thought I would throw it out there, maybe someone has some insight?? Is there a way I can prepare say for a trip to Honduras as far as handling the climate?

Kristen & Aiden (6-18-04)

Strong and capable single mom..doing my best!  have a good night

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I don't know about genetically more tolerant of heat/cold. I do think if you grow up in certain climate, you can tolerate it better, just as if you are away from it for a long time, you can lose some of that tolerance.

As to preparing to be around more heat/humidity, I wish I knew. It would make summer camping trips toi different parts of the country that much easier : ) 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I agree with Waky. If you grow in the area you become used to the weather more than you realize.

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I've lived in Florida for 22 years and I still HATE summers here. I don't think I will ever adjust to the heat and humidity. We've been having temps in the upper 80's, even 90, since March and it won't even start to cool off again until mid to late October. Ugh! I miss Colorado so bad.

Sorry, but I don't think there's anything you can do to prepare for that kind of weather.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I think some people are genetically more accustomed to some climates. My husband always had a hard time with living in the desert, and my son was the same way immediately after he was born. When we lived in the desert, they could instantly overheat. I had never seen anyone before react like that.

We have since moved from the desert, and both love to run around in the freezing winter in light jackets. I'll even catch my husband wearing shorts outside in below freezing weather.

Hopefully, you won't have a hard time adjusting to the weather for the visit. I found it just takes me time to adjust to a new climate, but maybe that won't be the case for you and your kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN