Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Difference between having a son, and having a daughter?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 14 Replies
If you have children of opposite sex, can you describe the "differences" between having a son, and having a daughter?
*i used to complain to my parents about how my brothers were treated differently, as I grew up a lil more mom said there is a difference- I still didn't get it, that is until I had a son and them 7 years later, a daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM
My son is likely autistic and my daughter is not. They are complete opposites!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WingCharm
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

A boy has a penis.

A girl has a vagina.

Those are really the only inherent differences. The rest are cultivated by the parents and the culture at large, often unconsciously, but they are learned.

I only have girls myself, but I have godsons who are similar age and as good as my own.

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM
They have a lot of similar qualities (my DS is 10 and DD is 2) but my DS was much more shy when he was younger. My DD is pretty outgoing. But when they are doing things together it's amazing how much alike they are (she copies him alot though)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Puberty...my boys weren't nearly as dramatic and all going through the puberty stage as my daughter has been.  I hear boys are easier to potty train as well, I don't know because my daughter came to me already potty trained.

family in the van   Mom of four

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM
My son is not as moody as my girls. My dd2 can throw a punch like a man and alot harder than ds4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM
My daughter did all things really early. She potty trained early, talked early, she was completely independent around 2 years old. She would make her own breakfast, cereal and milk. She never woke through the night. She was the easiest kid in te world. DS has never slept through the night, potty trained a full year later. His speech has been slower, although he does talk well, he is pretty attached still. She is 12 and he's 2. I don't have a problem with how either has developed they are just very different. He loves sports and she prefers books. She has played many sports but doesn't care for any of them. At three years old she could write her name and knew all of her letters and colors. He just wants to play. Nothing wrong with it, just different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
My kids are very different. They behave differently so they are treated differently lol. But they are treated equitably and are given the same expectations for performance, behavior, etc. We just use different approaches to get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM
DS (11) leads a relatively drama-free life and is all about sports. He's easier to dress...as long as it's sports related, he's good. School/learning is easier for him. DD (7) is a drama queen, fussy about clothes and struggles a bit in school. My brother and I are so different that people can't believe we're related, much less grew up in the same house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

The 2 things I've noticed are that dd talked earlier than her brothers (and her first "word" was "No, I do!"), and that she is much more melodramatic. 

magsrobsmom
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

They are complete opposites. We call them "Oscar & Felix" and ironically, it's my 13yr old DD who is Oscar! My 7yr old DS is a neatnick. Both are pretty easy going although DD is having typical teen behavior as of late. When DS gets mad, he has my German temper, but he doesn't get mad very often. DD tends to have a personality more like my DH and DS is more like me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)