Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Leaving kids alone?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it okay to leave a 9 and 7 y/o in the house while mom goes running around the block?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

I'm wondering when it's acceptable to leave kids alone for a few minutes. I am trying to get fit, but have a really hard time finding the opportunity.

My kids are 7 and 9. Do you think it would be okay to turn on a cartoon of some sort and go run? The episodes would last about 24 minutes, and that's just enough time for my run.

Thanks!

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I would say yes to running around the block, but why not have them ride a bike or scooter and come along? More fun for everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It is never ok to leave kids that age alone for more than 5 mns IF your in site of the house at all times. Thats just too young imo. Its illegal in some places too OR its age 11 before you can leave them alone and not with a younger sibling till age 13.

leavinglasvegas
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Of course. They are old enough to be in the house by themselves at that age and I don't think you need to bring them with you on bikes. If mom can't have 24 minutes to herself with children that old, I'm packing it in right now.

I was a latchkey kid from age 8 - high school graduation and my brother is 2 years younger. (Didn't have a problem then and I now that I'm older, I still don't resent it). Yes, "times have changed" but what do parents think children this age will do unsupervised in the house? Watch tv they aren't supposed to watch (we had cable and we didn't), be on websites they aren't supposed to be on, etc? You need to trust your kids to do what you expect of them when you aren't there. If they don't they lose privledges. If they do, they gain trust and responsibilty.

I think 24 minutes now is good practice for when they get older and you leave them for longer periods of time. I was babysitting neighborhood toddlers by age 12. It's a good exercise to build great teenagers.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM
She doesn't NEED to bring them on bikes...but it is good for everyone and FUN!

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

Of course. They are old enough to be in the house by themselves at that age and I don't think you need to bring them with you on bikes. If mom can't have 24 minutes to herself with children that old, I'm packing it in right now.

I was a latchkey kid from age 8 - high school graduation and my brother is 2 years younger. (Didn't have a problem then and I now that I'm older, I still don't resent it). Yes, "times have changed" but what do parents think children this age will do unsupervised in the house? Watch tv they aren't supposed to watch (we had cable and we didn't), be on websites they aren't supposed to be on, etc? You need to trust your kids to do what you expect of them when you aren't there. If they don't they lose privledges. If they do, they gain trust and responsibilty.

I think 24 minutes now is good practice for when they get older and you leave them for longer periods of time. I was babysitting neighborhood toddlers by age 12. It's a good exercise to build great teenagers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leavinglasvegas
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Nine and 7 are too young to be left alone for "5 minutes"? They aren't 2 years old, they're in grade school and probably hang around outside with their friends unsupervised all of the time.

There are only a handful of states that have actual laws on this. Some have guidelines and most have nothing at all.

http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

It would depend on the maturity of the kids, and how well they get along together, but generally I would think at that age for that amount of time would be ok.  Like a pp said, it's a good starting point for building them up to being alone longer.

Mine are 5 and 7, and I probably wouldn't do it just yet, but could see doing it in a couple years.  My biggest concern would probably be the two of them getting into a fight with each other, but then at that age I would probably say they can work it out themselves.  That's what I try to constantly teach my kids now, is to work out their issues between each other, not just automatically come to mom.

Will you have a cell phone on you?  Do they know how to use the home phone to call you if there's a problem?  Do they know basic safety like not to answer the door or how and when to call 911?  Is the run literally around the block so you are in sight most of the time?  These are the things I would take into consideration.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think since they are together they should be fine for 24 minutes.

CafeMom Tickers
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I would first check to see if it is legal where you live.  Every state has different laws on this subject and many states leave it up to the county or local governments.  My first call would be to my local police station to check on my local laws, they would certainly know the law for your town, whether it is a town, county, or state law they have to enforce it so they would know.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I need an "Other" option : )

It depends on the kids. If you can trust them to not answer the door or phone, follow the household rules w/o you there, and they can get along w/o fighting, then go enjoy your run. You might want to let a trusted neighbor know, though, so the kids have an adult to go to if needed.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I voted no.  It depends on the kids, how mature they are, how well they get together.  If I was going to leave them alone, I wouldn't start off with nearly half an hour; I'd do a test run of 5-10 minutes to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN