Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tying Shoes

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 6 year old has yet to be able to learn how to tie his shoes, everyone in the family has tried to help him and shown him different ways over the last couple years.  This isn't a big problem, other than his ball cleats which I tie for him, we can easily get velcro shoes.  However I don't want him to experience embarrassment because his friends already tie their own and I know first hand how mean kids can be when they get just a couple years older than he is now.  So I was wondering if anyone had any tips that might would help him with learning.

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I'm still working on my 6 year old to tie. 

family in the van   Mom of four

orcadarwin
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM

My oldest just learned to tie his shoes and he's 8, almost 9.

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

DD (5) really wants to learn how to tie shoes too but I have no clue how to teach her.  My grandma sent her a special pair of light-up shoes that she is dying to wear to school but I told her she can't wear them to school until she can tie them by herself.  I would love to see some tips on this also.

sonshining
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

It's ok. I started working with my son, now 9, at that age. It was the summer before he started second grade. He had always had velcro straps. I showed him on my tennis shoes. I told him it would be a lesson every day, he could try it twice a day. That way he wouldn't get frustrated. At the end of one week, he had mastered it. It takes coordination and good fine motor skills, so your son is just now ready, he'll get it. Just go over it one step at a time.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Have him practice on a pair of grown up's shoes, the bigger the better.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM
I would bot worry about kids teasing yet. I taught my son and now we practice. The best teaching method for him was x the laces then pull the one lace through and pull tight. Make bunny ears, x them and pull one side through and pull tight. Then we practiced 3 times every day and we made sure some of our shoes were with laces. Now I am rewarding him for doing it himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cambriagurlmom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I suffer from hand eye cord issues I didn't learn til I was 9 lol. My daugher is 6 and has the same issues so I haven't pushed it with her. I know I should

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

my 6 yo is still learning.. he can loosley get it, just hasnt mastered it.. but he dosent try ery hard :/

dreamerlette
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Thanks for the input, he's been wanting to learn, just has a hard time figuring out some things and gets bored easier and has a harder time focusing on something than a lot of other kids.  We'll try these ideas here.

vixen42
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM

when my son was struggling too learn too tie his(hes a leftie) I found a really cute puzzle in shape of a shoe with laces,he loved it  and practiced everyday and one day poof! he tied his shoes.I found it at Toys r us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)