Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Special Ed labeling.......

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 19 Replies

Is it the same now as it was say 10 yrs ago?

I was talking to another mom about how my dd(9) was moved to a different class. She was wondering why. I told her its because she has an IEP that we have been trying to get for 2 yrs. It took a medical diagnosis to get her tested though school. Both our dd's had the same teacher. Well, she was saying how bad her dd is with Math and how the teacher wanted to have a meeting with the social worker and pschycolist. She didn't want to take them up on the offer. She rather see her child repeat the 4th grade then get label special ed. By that time 2 other mothers joined the conversation telling her she should take the offer of the meeting just to see if she can get help since it took all of us such a long time to get help and they are practically offering it to her. She won't do it just because of a label.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STKsMomma
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like she is more worried about appearances then her childs education. Sad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

thats the thing we have all intergraded classrooms and really most the students don't know why my dd switched. She just showed up in their class one day.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Being a mom with 2 boys with IEPs, the labeling is a hard thing to get over. It is admitting that your child is not "normal". She will get over it, hopefully, and get the testing done.

It's a long road for anyone but thinking about what's best for the child will get them through.

Alysse24
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

That's terrible.  If her daughter needed a hearing aid, would she deny that too for fear of her daughter being 'labeled' as hearing impaired...?  smh

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
My 14 year old daughter has an IEP for a math learning disability. She's had the IEP since being diagnosed in 3rd grade (she's now in 8th). She also has ADD, and an anxiety disorder.

She was bullied at her previous Catholic elementary school, by many of her classmates because of it. I took her out of that school after 5th grade.

She's been at a very small alternative Cathollic school for special needs kids, since 6th grade. There's about 140 kids from K-8th, and 14 kids in her class, with two teachers.

She's done wonderfully at her current school, but still struggles with self esteem issues because of the bullying.

It's a sad fact that kids are too often bullied for being "different", so I can understand that mom's concern about labels.

Still though, I would rather my daughter have an IEP, and receive the help she needs under it, then be held back a grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM
My ds school actually wanted to hold him back next year because the teacher says her is not special ed.. But she has since changed her mind and he will be moving ahead.. I say take the help.. I would never want my child to fail our be held back..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

this. both my boys only hae speach delay < so far>

ppl are pushing me so hard to try and get them diagnosed with autisum< i know in my heart they do not hae autisum> maybe a little ocd for my middle ds but not autisum.. but there is a stigma associated with " special needs" ppl just assume because you have an iep your child is " dumb"

Quoting Cindy18:

Being a mom with 2 boys with IEPs, the labeling is a hard thing to get over. It is admitting that your child is not "normal". She will get over it, hopefully, and get the testing done.

It's a long road for anyone but thinking about what's best for the child will get them through.

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

There are so many kids that get pulled for special services that the kids don't think twice about it.

brlee1115
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My son has been in IEP since kindergarten. I would rather have him getting extra help, then looking uneducated. He's in his last year of junior high, and the IEP teachers come to the classroom. Nobody knows exactly why, they just assume it's extra help for the whole class.

She's needs to get over herself, and do what's best for her daughter. Jeez!!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I agree with the other ladies, this mother needs to get over herself and do what is in the best interest of her child.  IEP does not mean stupid, it means Individualized Education Plan and isn't that a good thing?  Doesn't everyone want the school to create a plan of action to educate their child is the best way possible?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)