Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD?? learning problems

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi i dont post on here much, but im at my witts end with my six year old son. He's in first grade. the past few months have been awful! he's getting into trouble at school, mostly for goofing off, not paying attention, not finishing his work, talking to his friends, and not doing what he's told. one incident that was recorded as "vandalisim" (that i dont think was vandalisim) He pulled up some duct tape that the school had on the gym floor (it was to mark something for a game) so he was written up and had to clean after school. But anyway, my MIL is saying that her kids had ADHD and she thinks that what this is. We will sit him down and talk to him and then ask him what we told him, and he doesnt know. We keep it short and simple and he still doesnt listen. I could sit him down for homework, and i have to give him STEP BY STEP instructions even if its written right in front of him. Even in the mornings to get ready for school, he will just sit there and play around if i dont tell him "brush your teeth, change your clothes, get your shoes on" ect. He was really falling behind in reading, and they put him in Title one to help with the reading, BUT i feel the school is failing at helping him because often the Title one program teacher is out sick, (no substitute) and so my son is falling behind more. and the main teacher just says that we need to be more of the teacher then we are. BUTTTT!!! we try so hard to practice with him at home, and do extra work and make him re-do the work from school that he failed or did not do at all. Its close to the end of the year, and we cant change schools or teachers, but this teacher wont help, and we've come to a point we dont know how to help! any sugjestions?? We have a routine, that he knows, but he will not follow without guidance. He's getting more and more warnings at school, and now hes not really passing class. His doctor dismissed it as just being a normal 6 year old.. but now its affecting his education, and increasing stress in the home life because, well he wont do anything when he's told, or he starts to do somethign but wont finish it! And warning after warning leads to punishment, corner standing, early bed times, no treats, ect. NOTHING WORKS!! HELP!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DallasCowboys81
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sounds like it to me .. My son who is now 11 started off the same way went through all the testing and ended up with Add/Adhd he has both. Since he was put on meds around the age of 6 he has been so much better. He listens/pays attention/ and is now getting good grades. He  is now in 5th grade has friends and actually loves school. May want to talk to a doctor. Good luck mama.

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I have ADHD and my DS has ADHD. I think you should get him checked out for it. To me from what i read is that is what it sounds like. My son is all over the place. You have to stay on him. He forgets everything. He get distracted easly. I do too. My DS gets in troblem all the time for not listening or not staying in his chair. There is always something. But get him checked out. Read up on it. It does not hurt to check.

Nina.h
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I also agree that this may be the problem, it's a hard thing to deal with but patience is what he needs. Have you tried making things into more of a "game" I did that with my oldest son (he has ADHD)that sometimes helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZinniaLila
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My heart goes out to you and your son. While working for Focus on the Family, we received many cries for help from parents like you, struggling to deal with their children's behavior and wondering if the issue was ADHD.

I recommend you check out a section on their website on ADHD which includes an article titled, "Characteristics and Causes of Attention Deficit Disorders": http://bit.ly/HSAvtT Also notice that on the right hand side, they offer counseling support, and a referral organization, Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder (CHADD).

Focus on the Family's caring, licensed counselors are available at no cost by calling 1-855-771-HELP (4357) Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Mountain time.

I pray that you will receive the advice and wisdom you need for your precious son. Hugs!

kLynch315
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Its a toughie. My DD is 8 and also has ADHD and anxiety. I wont medicate (not yet) because addiction problems run rampant in both sides of her family. I have changed her diet, exercise regularly (especially before school) and other various things. Medication can b great but I highly advise you to be very informed about what the prescribe your child. Good luck. Stay patient as it is hard for him, too. I had/have add myself and know yje struggles these poor kiddos face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
It sounds like adhd. It's tough. I have a dd with it and she is wonderful while medicated and very very difficult while not. Make sure the teacher is able to deal with your child. It sounds like she can't. Talk to the principal about placing him in a class with a very supportive, experienced teacher. You won't be sorry if you do! Also, talk to his doctor about his symptoms. I know that my son does impulsive things and has no idea *why* he does them after the fact. Our dr refuses to medicate till 1st grade, but it definitely has helped my dd pull up her grades. And she isn't a zombie;) she just can actually cut thru all the distractions in her head and get her work done. Her medicine doesn't work after school so it's perfect for her. I can echo the exercise routine as being very helpful- we have both of them in gymnastics:) and we make them go outside and play...everyday! Good luck and huge hugs....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

My 13 year old son has severe ADHD.

I'd talk to his pediatrician, and ask for recommendations for a developmental/behavioral pediactric doctor to do an evaluation.  Also, ask your school, in writing, to have an evaluation done.  If he does have ADHD you can get an IEP or 504 plan in place and that should help.  Also, if he does have ADHD, talk to your pediatrician about how to manage it, whether it's through medication or something else.  Here's a link with some info about ADHD.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Is his dr aware of how badly this is affecting his education? If he/she is and is still blowing it off, I'd say it's time to find a new dr. Some excess energy and distractibility is normal for 6, but what you're describing sounds like more than that.

Ds1 has ADD; he was diagnosed in 2nd gr, and we finally started meds 2 yrs ago at the end of 5th gr. It made a such a difference- he was not a "zombie", but could focus better and wasn't as forgetful. Now that he's a teen, we're having to switch meds and find one that will work w/ all those dang hormones (he maxed out on the dosage of what he was on, and the new med isn't working).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)