Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sudden irrational fears??

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 8 yr old dd is suddenly afraid of going outside. She claims that she's afraid that a bee will sting her. Of course, she's never been stung so this fear seems irrational to me. She had a daddy long legs spider in her light fixture on Friday night. She was just settling in to go to sleep and discovered the spider and started freaking out and calling her dad. Since then, she won't go outside and even tried to not go to a classmates party so she wouldn't be outside. Once she went, she was fine. But I really don't know what else to do? If I tell her to go outside, she whines and gives me a million excuses why she can't. Finally, yesterday, I pushed her out the door and locked her outside. She was pitiful and of course I let her in- but I just don't know how to handle this? Earlier today she was upset and wouldn't leave my side cuz there was a fly inside- hardly a bee and she was a mess. Any advice? I hate to see her suffering with fear....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was that way for a few weeks after we had a big tsunami warning here. I don't really think it was the tsunami (as nothing really happened) but we watched a lot of tv and documentaries on tsunamis. I think it all just got to her & she was very clingy, needy, whiney & had lots of nightmares (or said she did & begged to crawl into bed with us).

Has she heard/seen something tragic (tornadoes, earthquakes, murder on the news) or has any big changes happened at home or school? Not necessarily bad changes, but big changes.

My daughter got over it after a few weeks & all is well now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure she wasn't stung at school or saw someone who was allergic get stung?  I was stung by a wasp when I was a kid.....every summer I have a phobia of bugs and the minute I hear buzzing I hightail it back into the house.  I love the outdoors but I'm scared of getting stung again.  I know it's irrational and I will quickly convince myself to go out again but I'm terrified of bugs.

Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I am wondering about this and will be asking her~ but I'm not so sure. She has her own ideas about certain things~ despite what facts there are;) I can imagine its a very real anxiety~ I just hate it for her, kwim?? 

Quoting BonitaM:

Are you sure she wasn't stung at school or saw someone who was allergic get stung?  I was stung by a wasp when I was a kid.....every summer I have a phobia of bugs and the minute I hear buzzing I hightail it back into the house.  I love the outdoors but I'm scared of getting stung again.  I know it's irrational and I will quickly convince myself to go out again but I'm terrified of bugs.

leeshamak. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Did it just come on all of a sudden? Has she been sick lately? I know that doesnt seen relevant.... But it could be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I don't think there is anything going on? The trigger seemed to be the spider and then it expanded to bees that fly around in the front yard... Not 100% sure tho....I just hope it passes sooner rather than later... the whining, needy, clingbot is a bit much with 3 kids to tend to...

Quoting chinosruca:

My daughter was that way for a few weeks after we had a big tsunami warning here. I don't really think it was the tsunami (as nothing really happened) but we watched a lot of tv and documentaries on tsunamis. I think it all just got to her & she was very clingy, needy, whiney & had lots of nightmares (or said she did & begged to crawl into bed with us).

Has she heard/seen something tragic (tornadoes, earthquakes, murder on the news) or has any big changes happened at home or school? Not necessarily bad changes, but big changes.

My daughter got over it after a few weeks & all is well now.

Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

She was sick with a tummy bug on good friday...but has been better since easter... the spider incident was a week later...hmn... interesting idea...

Quoting momma0ffive:

Did it just come on all of a sudden? Has she been sick lately? I know that doesnt seen relevant.... But it could be

Precious333
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I wouldnt have force her to do that. I have had some irrational fears and anxieties before and causing a person to be in a situation where they would be faced with their fears causes a lot of harm. It was when I started dealing with my underlining fears and anxieties that I was able to get rid of the crippling irrational fears that I had. Also with love and patience from those who were close to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
The only reason i ask is because I'm currently going through some stuff with my ds.... I made a post about it in the kids health group

He was diagosed w PANDAS which is complications arising from a strep infection.

I remember reading something about fears or ocd type behaviors in the symptoms.

My ds has never had strep throat that I am aware of, (but I did in november) so I ws shocked when his dr. said his strep test (blood) was positive. After researching it I realizd he had most of the symptoms....

Quoting Leeshamak:

She was sick with a tummy bug on good friday...but has been better since easter... the spider incident was a week later...hmn... interesting idea...

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow~ that really is interesting! I will research this...

Quoting momma0ffive:

The only reason i ask is because I'm currently going through some stuff with my ds.... I made a post about it in the kids health group

He was diagosed w PANDAS which is complications arising from a strep infection.

I remember reading something about fears or ocd type behaviors in the symptoms.

My ds has never had strep throat that I am aware of, (but I did in november) so I ws shocked when his dr. said his strep test (blood) was positive. After researching it I realizd he had most of the symptoms....

Quoting Leeshamak:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Leeshamak
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I can assure you that it was only for a minute if even that long~ She has always been treated with a lot of love and patience. In fact, she refuses to eat anything but chicken and french fries and crunchy things due to what we believe are fears of allergies and a texture aversion. I'm the kinda Mom who goes out of her way to make sure my kid feels comfortable and safe... but for her to shut off the outdoors after shutting down so many foods? Oh no... this is just a bit too much when her siblings and I are outside and she refuses to set foot outside? And freak out even indoors? I dunno... I absolutely *will* love her through it, but its a lot.... I'm very glad that you were able to conquer your fears~ you are *so* blessed:) Some live a lifetime and never work it all out... hugs....

Quoting Precious333:

I wouldnt have force her to do that. I have had some irrational fears and anxieties before and causing a person to be in a situation where they would be faced with their fears causes a lot of harm. It was when I started dealing with my underlining fears and anxieties that I was able to get rid of the crippling irrational fears that I had. Also with love and patience from those who were close to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)