Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My mom and I have been disagreeing lately because Io think that my children (7 & 5) are perfectly capable to clean thier own rooms every week by themselves (every saturday morning, before they can go to story time). I think its a matter of teaching them young, but its also a fight some weeks. While she thinks I am being to hard on them, and that I should still be doing it for them, at least the little one. When did you make them responsible for cleaning their rooms?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM
4yo is pretty young to expect them to do EVERYTHING alone.

It depends on the child DS1 was cleaning his room from the time he could walk. You take it out...you put it away is our rule.

DS2 can do it if it isn't a huge mess. Once it is a disaster, he is totally overwhelmed and shuts down and needs direction.

I would probably go in semi-frequently and give support and direction but not "do it for him".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcampos87
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I go in there once a week and to make sure all the trash and dirty clothes are dirty.. I also have them take turns cleaning up the living room and bathroom floor, nothing major. That's why she says it's to much.. But its their stuff and I'm not a maid :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

4yo is pretty young to expect them to do EVERYTHING alone.

It depends on the child DS1 was cleaning his room from the time he could walk. You take it out...you put it away is our rule.

DS2 can do it if it isn't a huge mess. Once it is a disaster, he is totally overwhelmed and shuts down and needs direction.

I would probably go in semi-frequently and give support and direction but not "do it for him".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Mine are 3 and 6 and they clean their rooms daily!

We started this cause it was way too overwhelming for my 6 year old to clean once a week and this worked better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmack2107
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

DS didn't start doing his room on his own until he was 6, but there's a long story behind that... We will start having DD help us with her room around 2 or 3... and she will be doing it by herself around 4 or 5.  

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Ever since my kids could walk, they've been expected to help. No, I don't have them out raking the leaves and doing dishes and laundry, but they learned from early on how to put a toy in the toy box, and put a cup in the sink. Little things like that are life lessons and there's no reason it can't start early. My experience has always been that the younger they are, the more they want to help, so why not let them. My kids were picking up their own toys, like I said from walking age, but things like making their bed or even picking up dirty clothes probably not until age 4. Still younger than yours lol, so I think they are certainly old enough to clean their rooms on their own.

HTLoveMyBoys
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

My youngest is 4 and he cleans his room as well as help clean up the game/toy room. He does get help with clean his room though since he shares a room with his 9 year old brother. My kids have been picking up their toys since they were about 2.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
My dds (5 yrs and 18 months) both clean thier room every night before bed time. granted the baby doesnt help the whole time but the big girls does a great job with teaching her sister. my oldest dd has been cleaning her room alone every night before bed time since she was 3. i think 5 and 7 are perfect ages to start. and if they dont do it or fight about doing it then they shouldnt get story time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngelulu
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My DD is 5 and she cleans her own room. She does her own bed too. I only help her somewhat put her clean laundry away, that's it.
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM

The younger the better...

They are more than old enough to clean their rooms.

sllytnkrbl
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

My kids have helped clean their rooms since they were toddlers, they helped make their beds and kept their toys neat,  by 5 they made their own beds (yes I would have to double check and straighten it out but that isn't the point) by 6 they were helping fold laundry and put it away and now that they are 8 and 9 they are cleaning their rooms and putting away laundry by themselves, the only thing they don't do is vacuum.   My mom had me cleaning my room early and my kids are the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)