Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

We bought this game for our four year old tonight. 

When we got home I played it with him. He legitimately kicked my butt the first time. 

The second round I was winning by a land slide. When he realized that he might not win he pitched a royal fit. It ended with a time out and then straight to bed. 

My mom (who NEVER let us win BTW) suggested that since he was just learning the game I could  have let him win or at least made it close. 

That just doesn't seem right to me. He kicked my ass the first round. (OK fine, the two glasses of wine I had might have given him a slight advantage) But I think it's important for kids to learn the art of being a good winner.

What's the policy in your house? Do you let them win?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

It depends on the game and how bad he's losing. There are some games I really need to play or I'll lose (Trouble and Sorry) and some I always win (Monopoly and Connect 4) so it depends which one we're playing. After I win I explain to him why I won so he has a better shot of beating me next time. Winning is good for his confidence and losing teaches him to lose gracefully and that it's ok to lose. He is a really bad sore loser.

seekingg-d
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I think it is highly necessary that children learn to be good losers as well as good winners. Kids aren't learning that in school where everyone gets a prize now for everything. Sometimes in life you lose and it's better to learn it now. Not to say I don't let my kid win sometimes too, because you learn nothing from losing every time as well! Just my 2 cents.

mommynac
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, sometimes I do. I probably wouldn't give him a time out over a meltdown if he lost. My son is 6 and I think at his age a broken shoelace can be catastrophic. Plus, I have very fond memories of my father, who was very gentle and kind. He let me win a lot, and it's part of that parenting magic I remember about him.

linda200
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Not really.They must to learn to be a good player.In Life,real life nothing is so easy.My daughter she is

71/2 years old ,Bright,sweet I'm very glad to have her.She is great player,but wasn't like that.

I put her to play soccer.was one of best decision  i ever did.She learn so much.Today we or she can play anything with anybody.When she win shes happy but when lost (you never lost you always learning something).Shes fine. Try some sport your son gonna learning a lot.

midjet117
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
yea i let my kids win. I figure later on in life they'll see its not that big of a deal to lose. Sometimes they actually do beat me fair and square
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I have NEVER let ds (10) win. He learned to win on his own merit and doesn't care either way as long as we have fun. My sister lets her son (9) win all the time so if he loses to anyone he pitches a fit, calls names, throws shit and stomps off. It's no wonder I want to choke him Homer Simpson style most of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I don't let them win!

My 3 y/o kicks my ass when we play Memory. It's kinda embarrassing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Freela
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It depends on the game.  If it's Snakes and Ladders or Sorry or something else where it's purely luck, I don't pull any punches.  Whoever wins, wins.  Sometimes it's them, sometimes it's me.  If it's a game of skill and I'm more skilled because I'm older, I might at least make it close, at least until they improve enough to win legitimately at least some of the time.  If it's a game with strategy and they are old enough to understand strategy, after several butt-whuppings I will let them in on the 'secret' to even the playing field a bit.

mrjjmt
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I think it is good to let them lose. I believe it is important for kids to learn that they are not always going to win.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM

depends on the age when ages 8 and under yes I do, older they know the rules and how to play so not at all unless they haven't won lately then I do but make it look like they barely did

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)