Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kinder Field Trip (Vent)

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 39 Replies

Okay so May 4th is my sons first field trip and he is soo excited. Well my friend whose son is also in our class is going and taking her 3 year old also. The school has asked for us not to bring other kids due to Zoo policy. Which I understand my hubby is taking the day off to stay home with our 1 year old. I understand my friend does not have that kinda help the boys father left them. But I think if you cant find a sitter don't come. I know if my hubby couldn't take the day off I would not be going. I think when you help on these kinda trips you need to have 100% attention on the school kids. I don't think she will I think its going to be all about her 3 year old. I don't know what to say or do. I told her they didn't want any other kids on the trip and she said "o well I have to take him" . She is also mad at me cause I wont ride in her car with her since she cant ride the bus. This day is  about my son and she is trying to make me feel guilty about not riding with her. I don't get it. I have told her this is my sons day and I am going to enjoy it with him and his buddies. I will have 3 other boy including my son on this trip and I will not be doing what she wants. We will see what animals my boys want and that's that. She is making this trip already not fun. 

What would you do? I dont want to fight with her but I feel it coming. 

Thank you all for your input. There are 3 kinder teachers. Our is a little older than the other 2 and she lets things slide. The other teacher (who was my daughters teacher last year) has told the mom that she can not bring her other child and that she needs to find a sitter. My friend told her she has no one to watch her son. He is a VERY hyper kid and her family wont watch him.  Her ex hubby wont watch him. She is on her own. My hubby is not one for babysitting. He has a hard time with one or more kids (That are not his). I know how it feels to miss out on your childs first feild trip I had to miss out on my daughters first feild trips due to be home with ds1 and preggo with ds2. I tottaly understand it I really do. But rules are rules. She favors her 3 year old and I have seen that first hand everything is all about him. I dont know how many times we have gone to the parks and she wont push her oldest on the swing cause she is too busy pushing the 3 year old . We talked last night and she was upset that I wont ride with her I have told her time and time again that I will be ridding the bus with my kids and that the day is about them she is not happy. I will be talking to the teachers today and see what they have to say. Thanks Again Ladies. 

Once You Become A Mother You Stop Being The Picture & You Become The Frame.
Proud Mama To Haven, Ian & Ayden
Happily Married for 7 years to Donny
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmack2107
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Ignore her if at all possible. That's the only advice I have =\ 

bmack2107
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

A bump for you too! =)

matofour
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
If she drives and pays for herself and the little one who cares. She won't e a real chaperone at that point.
Our school picks chaperones who ride the bus and are on charge of kids.
If its a public places other parents can go, on there own. But their kid isn't there's for the day, know what I mean.
I have five kids, and I agree with you. It's important to make special days with each kid, alone. Field trips are a great way to do that. I just had a baby, so my husband will attend field trips this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Gotta love the Zoo trips :-) Please be careful around the goat if the children are allowd to feed them. The goats eat name tags - learned from experience. Bring ear plugs for the bus ride, get a good night sleep and put on your running shoes cause you are going to need all three. Other than that, enjoy your time :-)

The ne thing I learned when my children were young, they pop up really early on field trip day.

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow -our school would not permit her to go as a chaPerone with a sibling.

Stand your ground -it's your sons day - you are doing th right thing.
shimamab
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I doubt she'll be in charge of other children if she's bringing her youngest. That being said, I think her taking her own car, paying her own way, and dealing with a younger sibling all to show her son that she's there to support him is a good thing. My hubs works tons and is not always able to be home to watch my dd during my ds events. If they're really important (like his FIRST field trip ever) I would totally take her. Other things I've missed out on (now that he's in 3rd grade) because she can be a distraction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Its really not you place. The school is allowing her and her child to attend so you need to butt out. All you will accomplish by complaining is pissing her off. Just because her child is there doesn't mean she can't be a responsible chaperone.

I would take the teacher aside and ask if she will be in charge of other kids or not and if so, I would just make a point to keep an eye on them myself.

I have to add, I have a good friend who is a teacher at an inner city school. She gets ZERO parent involvement so I have volunteered for YEARS chpperoning groups of kids AND taking all three of my kids whom are homeschooled. It has NEVER been an issue. Then again, I also run Cub Scout, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts and am used to dealing with huge groups of kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I am not sure why you think she can't be attentive with her child there? If the school allowed her to bring her 3 year old, I don't see the problem. Why must she "get a sitter"? If my daughters school allowed it, I would definately bring my youngest over taking her to a sitter. I am capable of watching my little one & a group of kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy259
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Just as much as you want to go and enjoy the day with your son and be their for his first class trip so does she...Maybe if you know that she has noboody to help her out with watching her youngest you could ask your DH to watch him for her so that way he is not with her on the trip....How would you feel if you had nobody to help you out and you had to miss the trip because people were bitching about you having to take your other child...

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Is she actually chaperoning, or just going along? I think the best you can do is express your concerns to the teacher, then just focus on enjoying the day w/ your son and his friends.

When ds1 would have field trips to public places when ds2 and dd were younger, I would ask the teacher if it was ok for me to meet up w/ them there and just tag along. None of his teachers ever had a problem w/ it, ds1 was happy that I was there, and while not an official chaperone, I was there to lend a hand if needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)