• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Kindergarten

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 5 he will be 6 in Sept. He starts Kin this year and I am a little concerned. We go over his letters do worksheets and go over numbers daily but an hour after we do it he again responds with I dont know or makes up an answer. He is not recognizing his letters after going over them daily and doing worksheets. Is this normal? I am concerned because my 4 year old daughter knows her letters and numbers.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3690inspire
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM
I've heard many times that girls are faster learners than boys ; though not sure if its accurate. I have all boys though. Every child learn at different speeds. Maybe he could get an evaluation from the school if he's behind.
Mommiof31026
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Thanks for the advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  He very well may have a short attention span and is telling you he doesn't know because he is tired of working for right now.  Also remember that every child is different and learns in a different way and at a different pace.  So what works for one, won't necessarily work for another.

I would spend the remainder of the summer making sure he has his personal skills down.  Like using the restroom by himself, putting clothing on/taking clothing off, zippering jackets/backpacks, etc.  You can also play games while driving in the car, walking, shopping.  Start with the letter A and the first person to spot the letter A calls it out, then B, and so on.  You can also do this with numbers.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Do you do anything fun with the letters and numbers? In my opinion, worksheets and / or flash cards are some of the worst ways to teach small children. I would teach numbers with sports. Build a score board, and have him keep score as you go. You can also play a game like Horse with the letters of the alphabet. The most important thing is to make it FUN.
-KJ
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM
My DS will be 6 in July and in kindergarten in the fall. It's very rare that he will even count to 5 for me, much less try to write his name. He would rather play than anything that is school like. Although his teachers aren't concerned....we will just see how it goes. I wouldnt worry about it, a lot of the times they are just stubborn with the parents and will be ok at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My son loved the book "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" which is an alphabet book.  It really helped him with his letters. 

tipstermom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

It may just be a case of boys being different than girls.  My son will do the same thing with the "I don't know" or making up an answer just to get it over with.  I found with my son, the messier the activity, the better he remembers! maybe try putting shaving cream on a cookie sheet and drawing the letters with your finger in it.  Then if he gets it right, he can smoosh it up :)

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I agree

Quoting ddhb2007:

Do you do anything fun with the letters and numbers? In my opinion, worksheets and / or flash cards are some of the worst ways to teach small children. I would teach numbers with sports. Build a score board, and have him keep score as you go. You can also play a game like Horse with the letters of the alphabet. The most important thing is to make it FUN.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommiof31026
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
We do puzzles but thank you he plays baseball and likes sports so maybe I will try that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I would relax a little on the worksheets and the school type teaching.  I would maybe do a letter of the week and do crafts associated with that letter and talk about that letter a lot and talk about words that start with it, and just make it a fun part of everyday life.  Then he will have something to asscociate with it.  Even if he doesn't know it by the end of the summer, I wouldn't worry.  They will work with him in Kindergarten and if they feel he is behind or has trouble learning they will let you know and you can work on a plan with them, but more then likely they will think he is right on track. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)