• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap texting plan for my daughter? *PIOG*

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM
  • 9 Replies

Kyra's dad and I recently (6 weeks ago or so) split up. So far, she's handling it okay and has really taken to texting which ever parent she's not with. We want to get her her own phone so she doesn't have to constantly ask to use the other parent's phone (for example, she'll ask all the time to see my phone to send her dad a simple "hi dad" text, or ask him for his to send me one). It'll also help her stay in contact with some out of the area/out of state family on her own. So, yeah, we've already decided we want to get her a phone. That's not the question though. Where should we go for it? Does anyone know of anywhere that will just let you activate a phone you already have? I am upgrading my own, and when I did last time I gave her my old one to use as an alarm and camera (about a year ago, and she's still taking awesome care of it), so there will be two just laying around here. Seems a waste to buy another one.

What we're wanting is either unlimited text or a lot of messages options, very few talk minutes since she doesn't call much, she prefers texting because it helps her with her letters and spelling.

I found one place that looked great, just $15/month for 60 talk minutes and unlimited text and awesome sounding parental controls. But the cheapest phone they have that she could use (w/the qwerty key board) is the exact same one she has had for the past year. Seems a major waste of money to buy the same phone we already have sitting here. Her dad and I use Sprint, but their cheapest is still more than we want to pay for it (we plan to either split the bill every month or just switch off on who pays it every month).

So, suggestions?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fallnangel3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:24 AM
Id just add her to my Sprint plan, that's what we're going to do when ours get old enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I think that's what we'll end up doing if we can't find anything cheaper.

Quoting fallnangel3:

Id just add her to my Sprint plan, that's what we're going to do when ours get old enough

fallnangel3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM
If you already are on a shared plan it should only be $10 or $15 /month to add another line

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Quoting fallnangel3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:33 AM

We're not. When the ex upgraded his last year he went with a phone requiring a plan change and the extra data fee.

Quoting fallnangel3:

If you already are on a shared plan it should only be $10 or $15 /month to add another line

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Quoting fallnangel3:

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:37 AM
You can just get a prepaid card too. Parental controls not so hot but Internet is controllable an many and you can usually fund some great texting options as well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:38 AM
Oh your phone probably would need to be unlocked or you would be stuck with the same company which might not have good as option and if you just need a sim then you can find them cheap on eBay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandi0913
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM

i have my daughter on a pre-paid 20.00 monthly unlimited text plan with verzion wireless trust me it saves me hundreds of dollars with as many texts as she sends a month

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

we are just adding our daughters to our plan when she's old enough. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
All me and dh have unlimited text for 20 a month from Verizon. We have a landline phone for calling people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)