Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child were consistently bullied by the same kid over the course of 2 years....

If you addressed it with the school continuously over the course of 2 years....

If the school has, in the past, kept the two children apart by assigning different classrooms, etc...

If the school then REassigned them to the same class, and the bully boy chased your child with scissors and kicked your child in the chest and damaged his/her sternum...

Would you go so far as to file a restraining order against the child?

Do you think a judge would approve it?

Do you think the school can enforce it adequately?

Do you think this parent has another recourse (short of removing her child from the school altogether)?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I took my now 8th grade daughter out of her previous (Catholic) elementary due to bullying, at the end of 5th grade.

She was harrassed by a number of kids in her class for being biracial (in a nearly all white school) and for having a learning disability. She still struggles with self esteem issues because of the bullying.

Come to find out later that several other parents, even a parent who is a teacher at the school, also took their daughters out because of bullying. I regret every day not taking my daughter out of that school much sooner.

I think it's a damn shame that too many schools turn a blind eye to bullying.

Any kid who would repeatedly physically assault another kid, unprovoked, and go so far as to chase the kid with scissors, ought to expelled. Then again, the brat would probably just go on to another school, and find someone else to bully.

Seems that these kids who are bullies are too often that way because their parents condone and/or encourage that sort of behavior. Maybe it's time to start holding parents legally responsible if they can't or won't put a stop to their kid's bullying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

yes I would file. IF you have documentation such as hospital bills ect of child being hurt by being kicked and have photos  of brusises from the abuse then a judge would more the likely approve it. As for a school enforcing it adequately it depends on the school ect. Parents have no choice but to either remove their child from an abusive situation or get a restraining order.

raczac
by Cindi on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I would be raising hell with the school, school board and if nothing was done about it I would then go to the news papers and the television stations and tell what has been going on and I would also go to the police station and file a restraning order on the child. Good luck hope everything works out for you and your child.

mommynac
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Honestly, my kid would be gone long before I ever saw the 2 year mark if the school failed to protect my child. That said, I think pressing charges is absolutely appropriate!

Jenniy
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Yes and I'd press charges
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Yes.

I would hope the judge would approve it.

I would want the school to follow the restraining order to the best of their ability.

I'm not sure if a parent has other recourse or not... That's such a situation question based on the particular school, school district, and local laws.

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If another kid assaulted my son to where he needed medical care.  I would sue that kid's parents for the medical bills and pain and suffering.  Since when is it legal to hit or abuse another person, regardless of age?  If a 5 year old threw rocks at my window and broke it, I'd sue his parents to repair the window.  Why is a kid not allowed to break my property, but is allowed to cause harm to my kid?

Crazy_Daze
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I would definitely try for it! How has this other child not been expelled?

gr8d8n3mom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I would check ur state for "bully laws". Our state now has them, school HAS to comply to it! Also, u can press charges against the child that injured ur child, and if necessary get a restraining order. It's the schools responsibility to protect each child there while in "their care".

My ODD had a bully in 4th grade, I was @ that school @ least 2 times a week, this girl was being physical & mentally abusive, when I finally told my ODD to fight back she wouldn't for fear of getting in trouble w/the school! 3 weeks before school got out, I found out about the forms for "child assult" I marched into that principals office and told him the what for, and that fixed it.

my YDD 4th grade same thing, only this time I had a binder of the bully laws, which I knew word for word. I marched in there and said, We are NOT having another yr like my older daughters year,I"m giving you today to fix this problem, if you don't, I will! Problem solved!

planning a wedding

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

um ok is ur name Karen?  lol

i know its not but this sounds EXACTLY like what my little brother went through

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)