Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fraction math in 3rd Grade? Isn't this too young?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM
  • 21 Replies

My 9 year old is already expected to know how to add, subtract, reduce, and compare fractions! I can't believe it! Is this normal? He is having a really hard time understanding the concept of equivalent fractions, the fact that 2/8 is the same thing as 1/4 blows his mind. I have tried drawing pictures, he doesn't get it. Not at all! I helped him with his homework, but he still is lost. He pretends he understands but when I check his work, it's obvious he is guessing. I always feel like his school is pushing concepts that are too advanced for him to comprehend at his age. Is this standard stuff for 3rd grade? I don't remember it being that early. He is lost.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

At dds school they start with fractions in Kinder it is very basic but they build on it.

pynkladyme
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I had the same issue with my 3rd grader. Just keep reviewing each step until he gets it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Check out http://www.coolmath.com/  There are a lot of fun games on this site that help kids with their math skills.  Fractone is a fraction game and if you look around there may be more on there that would help with fractions. 

BTW - the site is completely free.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is in 3rd and doing fractions right now too.

She is  understanding the concept of using multipliers  1/2 = 3/6 = 6/12      We use a hershy bar to show fractions. The bar is made up of 12 sections that can be broken apart.

Maybe that would help.

kLynch315
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM
My DD school is like that too. When she came from a different school after kinder she was 'at risk' but was normal at her old school. She is fine now but her school has higher expectations and does things sooner. Try also www.mathisfun.com. they have a lot of lessons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM
My 2nd grd boys (are in 3rd for math) did fractions a couple of months ago. They also did mixed numbers too. Now they have fractions on each test. Having them draw pictures really helps. My boys love coolmath website too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jujubear1
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My first grader has been starting fractions.  Pretty basic stuff, like draw a circle and show 1/4 or 1/2.  I'm not sure what grade ss was in when they started doing the stuff like he is now, but he's in 7th and still has a hard time, but he just doesn't get math.  Issues there that I won't go into now.  It seems like I remember being around 3rd grade when we started doing that stuff.....twenty years ago, but I could be wrong. 

I agree with a pp, let him play math games on the computer. When I was in 2nd grade, some of us got to go to a special math class.  They tested us on how well we knew multiplication before ever teaching it to us.  Those of us that didn't do so well had to go to this class.  We played games, both on the computer and not.  Again....this was in the 80s so the games weren't nearly as cool as they are now, but after that, I really liked math.  Maybe it will help him too.

Radarma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Check out http://www.coolmath.com/  There are a lot of fun games on this site that help kids with their math skills.  Fractone is a fraction game and if you look around there may be more on there that would help with fractions. 

BTW - the site is completely free.

YOU ROCK!

Thanks!!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I think that's about when DS started fractions. DD is in first grade and is just starting basic fraction concepts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)