Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bed wetting still? (HELP)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

My step daughter Aliyah is almost 6 and in pre-k but she still wets the bed almost every night.. We've got her sleeping in pull-ups still and we make sure she goes potty right before bed and I've even started restricting liquids for about an hour or two before she goes to bed but nothing seems to be helping.. None of the rest of my kids have ever had this issue and I'm not sure what to do about it.. Anyone got any tips or ideas?? I'll try anything! Lol.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM
My sons urologist says we will talk about nighttime wetting when he is 8. Before that pull ups are the answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BekkieBoodle
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I need help too.... Mine is almost 7 and still wetting the bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hopeful28
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Cut off the liquids even earlier and set your alarm to wake her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. It will get her in the habit of doing it herself. Also throw her in the shower when you find out she did it and make her clean herself up. She'll get tired of doing so. Also give a punishment for every time she does it. We had the same problem with my five year old son and theseare the things we did to stop it and we have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdsue
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest daughter is 7 and has a wet pull-up every morning regardless of fluid restriction.  We've even tried waking her up 3 times a night and it makes no difference.  Her doctor says it's unlikely anything to be worried about because she's a really heavy sleeper.  She most likely just needs to grow out of it and there's not much we can do.  But, we do have an appointment with a pediatric urologist this summer to rule out any physical problems.  It's probably nothing to be worried about at this point, but you may want to mention it to your child's pediatrician. 

Our other daughter is 4 and has been wearing underwear to bed without a single accident for at least a year. 

STKsMomma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Here is the thing it is normal for some kids to wet the bed until 8. Then it could be a medical issue. I would recommend doing layers of bed protecters(plastic) and sheets so that when it happens you can strip the bed quickly and get her back to bed. Limiting the fluids may not help. Watch what types of fluids she is getting during the day. Soda and water tend to go thru the body fast! If you are super concerned mention it to her dr. But more then likely they aren't going to do anything at this age!

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I would have her stop liquids earlier, maybe 3 hours before. Make sure she goes before she goes to bed, even if she says she doesn't have to, she should try. I would use the mattress protectors and now they have the pull ups brand that are adhevsive. Good luck

mommyjenn84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Its actually normal for some. They have NO control over it. Its like the part of the brain the signals that shuts off in sleep. Id just keep using pull UPS, bring it up at her next regular Dr appt and never, ever punish her for it. The bigger deal you make.it, and the more negative its made out to be, the worse it can turn out... Esp mentally. She probably already feels bad enough and embarrassed by it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously?  I wet the bed until 12.  I had NO control over it.  Why punish a kid for something they can't control?  I hated it enough without being punished for it.  Way to give a kid issues.

Quoting Hopeful28:

Cut off the liquids even earlier and set your alarm to wake her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. It will get her in the habit of doing it herself. Also throw her in the shower when you find out she did it and make her clean herself up. She'll get tired of doing so. Also give a punishment for every time she does it. We had the same problem with my five year old son and theseare the things we did to stop it and we have!

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM

It's something she will outgrow, and it's also hereditary, so it could be something either Dad or Mom had an issue with as a kid. Both of my kids were late year bed wetters as was I and my Dad.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Right? That kind of advice scares me. Doing the timer thing can be helpful, but probably not until she's a little older, otherwise getting up all hours of the night is just going to make you and her unnecessarily lose sleep. I would suggest doing a timer once it becomes something she is insecure about, and wants to try and control it.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Seriously?  I wet the bed until 12.  I had NO control over it.  Why punish a kid for something they can't control?  I hated it enough without being punished for it.  Way to give a kid issues.

Quoting Hopeful28:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)