Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My step daughter Aliyah is almost 6 and in pre-k but she still wets the bed almost every night.. We've got her sleeping in pull-ups still and we make sure she goes potty right before bed and I've even started restricting liquids for about an hour or two before she goes to bed but nothing seems to be helping.. None of the rest of my kids have ever had this issue and I'm not sure what to do about it.. Anyone got any tips or ideas?? I'll try anything! Lol.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
gem_mommie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Omgosh...I absolutely do NOT agree with punishment for bed wetting. No way. Kids have accidents. Before even beginning to consider punishment you should research what the negative results of that can be and confirm with your child's pediatrician. That is NOT a good way to go about changing this. There are a lot of age markers for different milestones but every child is unique and different...some take longer than others in different areas. I would definitely mention it to her pediatrician and see what input you receive. I love our pediatrician and if I ever have ANY type of concern regarding our babies I ask her opinion. That's a part of their job.

Just randomly...my SS is nearly 8, my husband and I have been married for 3 years and he just, out of the blue, wet his bed about 2 weeks ago. He has NEVER had an accident since he first stayed dry through the night. Our daughter...she's 5, she was out of pull ups when she was about 2 1/2, didn't wet the bed for the LONGEST time and then every once in a while, until she turned 5...she had accidents. I never, NEVER, punished them or made them feel belittled or bad for that. You don't punish a child for something completely unintentional. That's like punishment for snoring. :/

I think setting an alarm to help her get to the potty in the middle of the night is a great idea. Also, keep in mind certain foods have liquid content so you'll want to make sure she isn't eating within a certain frame of time before bed either.

Hang in there mama, it'll get better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM

My DD was 6 and still wetting.  It wasn't a big deal for me, but really was upsetting her because younger sister was 4 and did not need pull ups.  This worked for me...I had her use the potty before bed.  I got her up at 11-12 at night and put her on the potty, and she went every time, even in her sleep!  I set the alarm for 3:00 and got up, put her on again.  I did that for two weeks.  After the 2nd week, I just did the 12:00 time.  Within another week or so I began hearing her get up on her own to go, and we haven't had a problem since!

My pediatrician said not to worry about it until she was 8 years+ but since it was really bothering her that's what I did.  My sleep wasn't great for a few weeks, but it was worth it to see the relief on her face when she no longer needed pullups! 

Griffin2004
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My friend's son was 12 and still needed protection at night.  The pediatrician didn't seem much concerned (which seemed odd to me at that age).  In this boy's case, they thought chronic constipation might be a contributing factor if his intestines were pressing on his bladder.  Just a brainstorm idea.

melisawoosley
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Good luck to you. Ds still wets the bed and he just turned 5. Hopefully he can move out of this pretty fast.

Hopeful28
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Way to be judgmental without knowing my particular situation. My son had control over it he told us he just didn't feel like getting up to use the bathroom because he was tired and found it easier to go in his bed. Those were the things that worked for us to stop it and it did.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Seriously?  I wet the bed until 12.  I had NO control over it.  Why punish a kid for something they can't control?  I hated it enough without being punished for it.  Way to give a kid issues.

Quoting Hopeful28:

Cut off the liquids even earlier and set your alarm to wake her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. It will get her in the habit of doing it herself. Also throw her in the shower when you find out she did it and make her clean herself up. She'll get tired of doing so. Also give a punishment for every time she does it. We had the same problem with my five year old son and theseare the things we did to stop it and we have!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

pull ups.

wetting the bed is often a medical problem, when the childs body hasnt matured yet. they arent producing the correct ammoutn of the needed hormone to slow bladder production, or they arent sending a strong enough signal to the brain to wake them.

i personally wouldnt worry till age 10. my urologist wont even suggest meds< which a lot of mothers want> before age 12

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM
That is NOT the situation here. You told her to punish for something beyond her control

Quoting Hopeful28:

Way to be judgmental without knowing my particular situation. My son had control over it he told us he just didn't feel like getting up to use the bathroom because he was tired and found it easier to go in his bed. Those were the things that worked for us to stop it and it did.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Seriously?  I wet the bed until 12.  I had NO control over it.  Why punish a kid for something they can't control?  I hated it enough without being punished for it.  Way to give a kid issues.

Quoting Hopeful28:

Cut off the liquids even earlier and set your alarm to wake her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. It will get her in the habit of doing it herself. Also throw her in the shower when you find out she did it and make her clean herself up. She'll get tired of doing so. Also give a punishment for every time she does it. We had the same problem with my five year old son and theseare the things we did to stop it and we have!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Please don't listen to this advice unless you want your kid to have issues!

My twins are 8 and we are finally accident free for 6mths. Keep with the pull-up and make her pee right before bed every night.

Pulling her off salycitics and synthetic foods (preservatives/food dye, tomatoes, grapes, apples, etc) can help reduce night-time accidents.

Other than the waterproof cover for her bed there is nothing but reassurance, patience and love. She will outgrow it eventually.

Quoting Hopeful28:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

My oldest is almost 7 and just recently can make it most nights without wetting the bed.  He is just a really heavy sleeper and his bladder is too small to make it through the night.  I wake up in the middle of the night and take him potty because I don't want him to have to wear pull-ups.  As long as I take him then we rarely have an accident. 

countrygirlkat
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

If in fact your child just chose to stay in bed and pee and he was fully aware he was doing it then a punishment would be fine.  I most all children that wet the bed though, they do it while they are still fully asleep and therefore they have no control over it.  Unless you are sure her child is doing what you say yours did, then please don't give advice to punish for something that more then likely doesn't deserve a punishment as it is more then likely in-voluntary. 

Quoting Hopeful28:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting Hopeful28:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN