• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

structured recess time.....thoughts?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

My children (4, 7 & 9) go to the same small school I attended growing up. Recently all the play structures were updates (about 3 yrs ago) and are going to be undergoing some more additions...which I question....they don't even use them! (well, SOMETIMES they do) ~ I remembeas a child we loved recess and we ran and played with our friends.......now, they are "structures" ~ before going outside to recess each child picks a card that tells them where on the playground they will be, with which teacher & what their "activity" will be for the recess period.....the playground is not overly big, it's actually quite small and the entire thing is fenced in....the activities they play are things like "duck duck goose" type games , sometimes soccer and 4 square....I've asked why the kids are just not allowed to run around, get their energy out and have "free" time and the answer was they don't have enough staff to watch the kids just run around....I've offered to volunteer at recess time and I'm sure other parents would too ~ then they changed their reason to : if they let the kids run and do what they want then it forms "groups" and "best friends" and then kids are left out........isn't that just part of life? I mean, Im not for bullying or anytihng ~ but I remember at that age developing my childhood friendships and close friends.....that's not "allowed" anymore?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I agree with you this sounds rediculous to me.  Kids need to run around and make friends on their own.  It has nothing to do with bullying.....it has everything to do with growing up and learning who your friends are.  Recess doesn't even sound like something to look forward to if you're being told what games you have to play and with whom.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I think it's ridiculous too but it makes me wonder if they've had issues in the past that made them change to this system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheezit47
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I believe it's part of the "anti bullying" which I get ~ but I also think it's taking away from let kids be kids =( 

I guess things could be worse!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I think it's ridiculous too but it makes me wonder if they've had issues in the past that made them change to this system.

cheezit47
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

agreed!

Quoting BonitaM:a

I agree with you this sounds rediculous to me.  Kids need to run around and make friends on their own.  It has nothing to do with bullying.....it has everything to do with growing up and learning who your friends are.  Recess doesn't even sound like something to look forward to if you're being told what games you have to play and with whom.

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

thats sad :( I would be at the school board meetings and everything else fighting this

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Cheese and rice!!  Seriously?

Yeah....let's hold their hands and be careful with our little darlings even through recess.  What's next?  Telling kids to pick a card and that is the major they have to study in college?

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

This is ridiculous.  Kids learn and discover so much during free play.  What are they supposed to do when they're adults and there's nobody there to tell them what to do?

At DD's school, if they get in trouble, they have to sit out for recess.  This also doesn't make sense to me because DD almost always behaves better when she has a chance to expell her extra energy.

PinkParadox
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM
parents are mad no matter what the schools do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

That seems crazy to me as well.  Like others have said, free play helps children learn, develop, and grow.  It is also a great time to learn how the social scene works and make friends.  

I've never heard of a school doing this before.  IMO I would bring something like this up at my PTA/PTO meeting to see if this is something that they would like to work on changing in the school.  Changes happen easier and quicker if you have a group working together towards the same goal, instead of a bunch of individuals working alone.

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I would not be okay with this. Kids HAVE to be able to think for themselves at some point. Recess should be the perfect opportunity to do so.................

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)