Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think your child is "mature"? Think again!! (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

Since I've been on CM, I have seen and been part of very heated discussions about ages for cell phones, email, facebook, walking home alone, etc.  Many moms will say "well, my child is mature" BUT......there is research that will tell us differently.

I'm constantly surprised to hear people believe their child is the exception but, let's be honest, every child is capable of making bad decisions and live their world according to instant gratification.  It's not their fault though.  They may be more "mature" than other kids but no one is really self-sufficient until about 24 or 25 years old. 

Here is a good article to read about frontal lobes.....then you will see what I mean:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468

If you want more information about how the development of frontal lobes affects your child's decision making and attitudes, just google frontal lobes and you will see a TON of research about why the frontal lobe is so important and how kids really don't get it.  haha

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I was on my own & self sufficient at 16. 100%. No parents, no adults taking care of me.

Sure, everyone is capable of making bad decisions at ANY age, but that doesn't mean a thing. One can find "research" to argue any point, but it does not make it true. Each child/adult is different & you can't put any one into a group.

I have 2 step daughters very close in age. 1 very responsible, mature, & level headed. The other is a complete opposite.

I have 2 of my own daughters. My 8 year old is kind of in between. My 19 month old is so far much naughtier and active than my 8 year old was at the same age, but it is too early to tell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
I agree with you OP. No matter how much responsibility you have, your thought process is different until you're more on the logic side. Yes, some never make good decisions, and some don't make as many bad but its proven that this is true, and we've seen sooo many instances where things happen because kids are expected to be little adults.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM
I can't wait to read this. I agree young kids should not be allowed to make decisions like cell phones and Ipods unless they are controlled by parents.
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I agree with you OP. No matter how much responsibility you have, your thought process is different until you're more on the logic side. Yes, some never make good decisions, and some don't make as many bad but its proven that this is true, and we've seen sooo many instances where things happen because kids are expected to be little adults.

I remember watching a 20/20 type of show where the parents "knew" their child would never go with a stranger but when they were at a park and had actors entice the kids to the van.....they went!  Sure, there are some kids capable of making more "good" decisions than others but I just don't think we should rely on their gut instincts at such a young age.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Wow 25!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kameka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM
My daughter is mature - about SOME things (and woefully immature about others). That's not to say she doesn't have a ton of room to grow, but some kids do better in some areas than others. For instance, DD can watch shows/movies that many kids her age can't because of the MATURE way she thinks of movies.
I totally agree with you though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kameka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I can totally see that. At 24 I thought I was all grown up. Looking back I can see how much different I am in just 5 years.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Wow 25!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I dissagree. I am a mother of 3 at 25, I dont think I know it all. But I guess all ppl are dif

Quoting kameka:

I can totally see that. At 24 I thought I was all grown up. Looking back I can see how much different I am in just 5 years.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Wow 25!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Out of curiosity.....were the 3 kids planned pregnancies? I'm not trying to be disrespectful but that was one of the consequences that I saw in one article.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

I dissagree. I am a mother of 3 at 25, I dont think I know it all. But I guess all ppl are dif

Quoting kameka:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Wow 25!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I don't come across very many mature adults myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)