Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Have a Pool? Advice Needed on the Pros & Cons to Having One:)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Summer's almost upon us and now that our youngest children are getting older, we've been thinking about putting a pool in our backyard. I'd like to hear from other moms that have one and what their experiences have been like having their own pool. What are the pros and cons that you've experienced with having a pool in your backyard? Thanks!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pipers_mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

This is the first year we will have a pool, but I grew up with them, and I dealt with my mom's last year. As much fun as they are, they're also a big PITA! You have to make sure the water is ok, you have to clean it, put chemicals in it, check and replace the filter when needed, they take a lot of work.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

We don't have one but we help the neighbor with his and its a big pain. Remembering to put the chemicals in it, filter problems, leaks, oh and if you want warmer water (here at least) you need a heater which cause problems too.

Strega
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

We have a Small one that the 4 of us can sit in. It definitely came in handy last Summer. We're upgrading for this Summer---to one that's large enough to Swim in, but still above-ground.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had a pool for the past 5 years.  Unless you have a very level lot, you will still need to have some excavation done for an above ground pool and that will make the cost higher than you may be expecting.  Also check you local municipalities laws, you may need to have a permit and inspections done on the electrical, and site prior to the pool being filled, this will also cost you more money.  Some municipalities require a fence around all pools under a certain sidewall height as well.  Don't forget to notify your homeowner's insurance company, you will need to have your coverage updated and this will obviously cost you a little more money as well.  Check with your sewage company to see if they give a break on their fees for filling up a pool, some do and this will save you some money.

I use a low chlorine system for my pool, meaning that it uses minerals to clean the water and only a tiny bit of chlorine is necessary.  I highly recommend getting an automatic chlorinator.  It attaches directly to the filter and the water passes through the chlorine before going back into the pool.  This make life so much easier because I only add chlorine once ever 6 weeks, the rate varies depending on how much chlorine you use in your pool and how hot it has been.  I also highly recommend a timer on your pump/filter, this will also make life easier as the pump will turn on and off on its own and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on/off.  I typically test our water twice a week using test strips, you just dip them in the water for a second and compare the little pads to the key to see if your chemicals are in balance.  I typically vaccuum the pool once a week unless it is really dirty due to a storm.  A solar cover helps keep the water warm and debris out of the water during a storm.  Pool placement is crucial.  You'll want to keep it away from trees, the closer you are to trees the more debris you will have in your pool.  Also select a location that gets a lot of day time sun, as that will keep your pool water warmer.

IDK, I don't really have any cons about having a pool, unless you have a small yard and would lose most of it by having a pool.  Maybe having friends, family, and neighbors constantly bothering you to come over and swim could be a con as well.  I just ignore the phone. lol

luzngkntrl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've had a pool for the past 5 years.  Unless you have a very level lot, you will still need to have some excavation done for an above ground pool and that will make the cost higher than you may be expecting.  Also check you local municipalities laws, you may need to have a permit and inspections done on the electrical, and site prior to the pool being filled, this will also cost you more money.  Some municipalities require a fence around all pools under a certain sidewall height as well.  Don't forget to notify your homeowner's insurance company, you will need to have your coverage updated and this will obviously cost you a little more money as well.  Check with your sewage company to see if they give a break on their fees for filling up a pool, some do and this will save you some money.

I use a low chlorine system for my pool, meaning that it uses minerals to clean the water and only a tiny bit of chlorine is necessary.  I highly recommend getting an automatic chlorinator.  It attaches directly to the filter and the water passes through the chlorine before going back into the pool.  This make life so much easier because I only add chlorine once ever 6 weeks, the rate varies depending on how much chlorine you use in your pool and how hot it has been.  I also highly recommend a timer on your pump/filter, this will also make life easier as the pump will turn on and off on its own and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on/off.  I typically test our water twice a week using test strips, you just dip them in the water for a second and compare the little pads to the key to see if your chemicals are in balance.  I typically vaccuum the pool once a week unless it is really dirty due to a storm.  A solar cover helps keep the water warm and debris out of the water during a storm.  Pool placement is crucial.  You'll want to keep it away from trees, the closer you are to trees the more debris you will have in your pool.  Also select a location that gets a lot of day time sun, as that will keep your pool water warmer.

IDK, I don't really have any cons about having a pool, unless you have a small yard and would lose most of it by having a pool.  Maybe having friends, family, and neighbors constantly bothering you to come over and swim could be a con as well.  I just ignore the phone. lol

luzngkntrl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Awesome info! Thanks!:)

UpsideDown
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I have a pool and it is so great in the summer.  I couldn't live without it and my kids are now little fishies.  My oldest learn to swim here and I will be working with my 4yo this summer.

The pool does require a lot of upkeep though.  Daily skimmings(sometimes hourly), chlorine, algea remover, sanitizer.  Filter changes, hose leaks, etc.

All in all though, if you can afford the chemicals and aren't too lazy to keep it clean, having a pool is one of the best backyard luxuries of summer!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Quoting UpsideDown:

I have a pool and it is so great in the summer.  I couldn't live without it and my kids are now little fishies.  My oldest learn to swim here and I will be working with my 4yo this summer.

The pool does require a lot of upkeep though.  Daily skimmings(sometimes hourly), chlorine, algea remover, sanitizer.  Filter changes, hose leaks, etc.

All in all though, if you can afford the chemicals and aren't too lazy to keep it clean, having a pool is one of the best backyard luxuries of summer!

You have to hand skim your pool daily?  Do you have one of those softsided pools or is your pool close to trees?  I rarely have to hand skim my pool because the filter skimmer keeps the debris off of the water's surface really well.  My pools filter needs to be cleaned every 4-6 weeks, which is only 3 times during a swim season here.  I've had my pool 5 years and have replaced every hose once and that was last summer.  I've never had a leak in the actual pool.  Then again I have a permanent pool not a soft sided one.  The soft sided pools seem to be so much more work and I honestly wouldn't get one unless you absolutely can't afford a "real" pool.

UpsideDown
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I live in a wooded area. The pool is not directly under the trees but it's close enough that little leaves and stuff fly in there.  The filter works great except we are so close to the trees it can't handle it all.

I have had problems with hose leaks and have had to buy new ones. The pool itself has never leaked.  It's not a "real" pool since I bought it a Target, I guess, but it's a really great pool and fits our needs perfectly!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting UpsideDown:

You have to hand skim your pool daily?  Do you have one of those softsided pools or is your pool close to trees?  I rarely have to hand skim my pool because the filter skimmer keeps the debris off of the water's surface really well.  My pools filter needs to be cleaned every 4-6 weeks, which is only 3 times during a swim season here.  I've had my pool 5 years and have replaced every hose once and that was last summer.  I've never had a leak in the actual pool.  Then again I have a permanent pool not a soft sided one.  The soft sided pools seem to be so much more work and I honestly wouldn't get one unless you absolutely can't afford a "real" pool.

weirdkids
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

pools are great. whatever you do though fence it in with something they cant climb over and make sure the gate locks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)