Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you mean he needs more shots? piog

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

One thing I have always done is make sure my kids make all of their routine check-up visits with their doctor. They are both up-to-date on their vaccines too. I am the kind of mom who asks a lot of questions and wants to know what is going on with my child. I get an explanation of the shots they are being given and all that kind of thing.

Anyway.. Today I took Allan to his kindergarten registration. They took him to a room for different testing and took me in a room to ask me questions about him. They needed his shot records and birth certificate and asked me about his general health. Then she told me before Allan starts kindergarten he needs to have 2 more vaccines. Um... what? She said they are not up-to-date. I specifically remember asking my kids' doctor at Aaron's 18 month check up to please look at Allan's chart and see if he is going to need a shot when I take him for his 5 year check up... He assured me that Allan is completely up-to-date and that he already received the ones he needs for kindergarten...

I told the woman this, and she looked again and she said "No, he's missing two." So I'm thinking to myself, how am I going to tell him he needs more shots? He is terrified of them and I promised him he did not need any more for a long time. The doctor promised him too.

After looking a third time, the woman kind of laughed at herself and says "Oh, I guess you're right, he has all his shots!"

What in the world? UGH. What if I had not questioned it? What if I'd taken him to the doctor and said "he needs these?" I mean, I hope the doctor would notice he had already had them before ordering another dose...

I guess the point of my post is how important it is to keep track of your children's medical history because people who are supposed to know what they are doing, not always do.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM
DS doesn't know it but he is getting a blood draw and shots tomorrow...eek! LOL... at his last Scout physical the Dr. suggested I have his thyroid checked...so we are getting it tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
henzel3
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM
I think it's very important to keep a record of a child's medical history and always ask and question things you don't think are right or sound right just my opinion.
Shannon H
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I keep pretty good track of my kids medical and shots records. somehow dds records got lost, but I was able to call the doctor and get copies for when she was getting registered, poor girl, would have had to get a lot of shots if I couldn't have gotten copies.  When we went to get ds up to date on vaccines we found out he had a uti, so not only did he have to get vaccines done, he also had to get his blood drawn to make sure his kidneys were okay, and I had to get his blood sugar checked for WIC. he was not thrilled with that at all, but he did great and only cried during his vaccines.

danie24
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM
My kids aren't vaccinated, so I was worried I was going to have to get into a medical / health debate with the staff when we registered our daughter last spring, but our school didn't even mention shots (thankfully).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynac
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:34 AM

I actually had a doc say this to me once (my old pediatrician who vaccinated DS in the first place!) With all of the parents now choosing not to vaccinate, do you have to have them fully vaccinated? Can't you sign a waiver that says you hold the school harmless? I know your kids are, but I don't get why the nurse was pushing so hard.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

How frustrating!

My son's doctor does double check the shot record before providing a shot, and so I don't think the doctor would give a double dose.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My sons doctor would never have given him a second dose. I am glad it all got straightened out.

JojoPowell
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I have a little at home vaccine chart where I can mark off what they do and dont have, to avoid things like this. They give them out at my doctors office, maybe you could ask for one next time you go?

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM

oh wow.  My doctor would never at the 18 month visit tell me that my kids were not going to get a shot for a while.  Before Kindergarten, my kids needed the dtp, polio, and i believe the mmr/chicken pox.  That was at age 4-6 they needed them.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My thoughtd exactly! My almost 4yo needs 2 mire rounds if shots before k, my stb 6yo needs a shot befire 1st grade too

Quoting luvcats406:

oh wow.  My doctor would never at the 18 month visit tell me that my kids were not going to get a shot for a while.  Before Kindergarten, my kids needed the dtp, polio, and i believe the mmr/chicken pox.  That was at age 4-6 they needed them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)