• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

K12 Online Schools?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

Has/is anyone's child enrolled in this online public school? If so how would you say it is? Do you and your child like it? 

Even if you are not enrolled and know anything about it please comment. I'm just looking for reviews and thoughts about it.

Thank you all very much :)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I haven't heard anything about it but I did just see a commercial for it on tv. I think with any online schooling the student has to be able to do the work without a teacher physically there to hold them accountable, or a parent standing over their shoulder making them do it. It's a lot easier to slack off in an online school than a regular one.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM
It has pros and cons...I schooled my nephew with it for a year. They are required to log into classes 2x a week, they have to track how's worked, it was a real pain in the arse.

It was also very easy to cheat. If you take a test, you can see the answers, take notes and retake it. @@ It also depends on the IST (teacher assigned to you) as to how much you have to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysty923
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM

YOu can send me an IM if you like

They stink is the long of it - their goal is to enroll as many kids as possible to make money.They will not hire a teacher inless they have enough students.  So if your child is enrolled say as #2 in a new class- they wait till they get 60 kids to hire a teacher so your child is teacher less for however long it takes

Then, the work is so easy that any moron can do it in about 2 hours a week - so basically if you care about your kids and want them to be challenged it is  a cock. 

They started out really good - but then money overtook them.  They keep buying up all these small schools and are just too big for their britches.  Most of their principals have never even taught school before - it is such a shame - really they are the biggest out there but they are terrible!

Do you have a connections academy in yoru state?  I recommend them!

snowangel1979
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We looked into it for DS. We decided it wasn't for us. I'm just going to "plain" homeschool. He is going to be in second grade next year.

They supposedly send you everything you'll need for the whole year.

The lessons are on-line and I guess take 1-2 hours a day plus the offline stuff they do.
You have to log in hours and they want 6 hours a day of work but if you think about it. Children aren't "learning" 6 hours a day at school. When you minus the lining up and getting settled, daily specials (art and gym) lunch, recess, ect.
I did the math with DS and It's like maybe 2 hours tops.
Plus With our school you have to scan and e-mail pages that your child has done weekly.

Just a little warning if you call them. They will call everyday for like three weeks trying to get you to sign up or try to get you to change your mind, when you tell them you decide not to use them.

If you decide to homeschool, I recommend joining the homeschool group on here. They are a bunch of great ladies. And check your state laws. In my state there pretty much isn't any, it just has to be done by a parent, but every state is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Ayden0406
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:28 AM

WOW I guess my experience with the k12 program is totally different. I school through the k12 Idaho Virtual Academy and we love it, We get on 5 days a week for about 3 hours(my child is in kindergarten), once every other week we have a class with the teacher that is assigned to us (No she does not have 60 students, she only has 30.)  We were assigned a teacher a week before school even started, there was no waiting until they got so many students. In our school all of our teachers are certified teachers and most of them were teaching in a regular public school at one time.

As for them calling you all the time if you say you are not interested, never happened, I called them once and talked to them, they called me once and talked to them and then I did not hear from them again until I called them back to sign up.

As for it being easier to slack off, that all depends on how lazy the parents are. I feel my child has it hard, I do not allow him to slack off. I am strict with him and I do not allow him to goof around, he is getting a better education because he has more one-on-one. He is in Kindergarten and already doing first grade school work.

snowangel1979
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I think It's possible the school district that I was signing up with was really pressuring the k12 school to get as many children signed up as possible.

I had a lady call me everyday for 2 weeks and then a man call me a few times the third week.

The schools around here are losing a lot of money because people are homeschooling or going to private schools.

Quoting Mom2Ayden0406:

WOW I guess my experience with the k12 program is totally different. I school through the k12 Idaho Virtual Academy and we love it, We get on 5 days a week for about 3 hours(my child is in kindergarten), once every other week we have a class with the teacher that is assigned to us (No she does not have 60 students, she only has 30.)  We were assigned a teacher a week before school even started, there was no waiting until they got so many students. In our school all of our teachers are certified teachers and most of them were teaching in a regular public school at one time.

As for them calling you all the time if you say you are not interested, never happened, I called them once and talked to them, they called me once and talked to them and then I did not hear from them again until I called them back to sign up.

As for it being easier to slack off, that all depends on how lazy the parents are. I feel my child has it hard, I do not allow him to slack off. I am strict with him and I do not allow him to goof around, he is getting a better education because he has more one-on-one. He is in Kindergarten and already doing first grade school work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holland0226
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I live in Hawaii and a lot of people use the K12 curriculum. They have a school system based on this curriculum it's called Hawaii Technology Academy, (you can google it). Everyone I know loves the program! K12 allows you to test your child and get the curiculum you want, but you can  go up one grade and behind a grade if you child is excelling or not keeping up. I am actually thinking about changing my daughter from her current private school to this program. She is a late birthday so she started K late and I feel like she can do more then the school is offering at this time. We are military so when we move it is a program we can do anywhere which is important to me also.

chazzamatazz
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I met a mom and her two children that were enrolled in Wisconsin K12 and I was so impressed that I rushed to get my oldest into the program. She's 12 and has Asperger Syndrome and I think she would do VERY well with the K12 school. I'm excited to have her start next year! 

samsbaby78
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

We used it for my home schooled kid but I used the independent private school version. I liked it. They give you everything you need, easy to use. The only problem is my son isn't a sit down and do lot of book work type of kid. There is a lot of book work, but there is some computer work. Overall, I  think it would be good if it works with your kids learning style. As far as a difference in the public school version, I have no experience with it. It is not a option in my state. 

Mandy575
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Same with us! Also I looked in to it for summer school and they wanted us to spend almost $500. for supplys then $120. a month. I just thought that was to much for us to afford. So I went online and signed up for a few websites that cost about 10 a month each. I think that will work just fine. My DD LOVES the IXL site and a science education for kids. 

Quoting snowangel1979:

We looked into it for DS. We decided it wasn't for us. I'm just going to "plain" homeschool. He is going to be in second grade next year.

They supposedly send you everything you'll need for the whole year.

The lessons are on-line and I guess take 1-2 hours a day plus the offline stuff they do.
You have to log in hours and they want 6 hours a day of work but if you think about it. Children aren't "learning" 6 hours a day at school. When you minus the lining up and getting settled, daily specials (art and gym) lunch, recess, ect.
I did the math with DS and It's like maybe 2 hours tops.
Plus With our school you have to scan and e-mail pages that your child has done weekly.

Just a little warning if you call them. They will call everyday for like three weeks trying to get you to sign up or try to get you to change your mind, when you tell them you decide not to use them.

If you decide to homeschool, I recommend joining the homeschool group on here. They are a bunch of great ladies. And check your state laws. In my state there pretty much isn't any, it just has to be done by a parent, but every state is different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)