Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

High School...ok it is far off I know BUT

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, I know high school is pretty far off for our kids in Elem. right now.  But we are thinking about moving in a year back to the area I grew up (northern suburb of Atlanta) so I started looking on great schools today to see some reviews of the High Schools.

I have been pretty disappointed.  Yes, they have high greatschools ratings (10) BUT in the parent comments there are tons of comments about drugs, cliques, etc).  I remember when I was in school there, drugs were becoming a big issue but now if feels like it is so much more prevelant. 

So my question is....are drugs in HS everywhere and I will have to learn to teach my kids to deal with it.   To me drugs seem so much more available and prevalent in schools in the south, then mid-west.  What are your thoughts?  What are your worries about HS?  Do you have older kids in HS now...what is their take on HS (ie. drugs, cliques, etc.)?

Thanks...I am just not sure moving back to GA is a good idea.  I swore I would never go back b/c I hated living there but the financial opportunity and the lower cost of living is hard to turn down.

Looking for any feedback ~ Jen

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Replies (21-28):
luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM

My son is in high school.  Yes, there are drugs but he is never bothered.  I think the fights are worse than the drugs in my opinion.  Also, he tells me that many girls faint.  I do have to say, he likes high school much better than middle school.  He hated middle school.  He used to give me such problems about going to middle school. He does not give me any problems about going to high school.

Mom2Boys9501
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I have one in 4th and one in 9th. Yes drugs are everywhere but you just have to teach your kids how to say no and how to stand up to teasing when they say no. I pray every day God gives my kids true christian friends who don't do drugs and let my kids know they can talk to me at anytime with no judgments.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM
DH's cousin was a eacher in Maryland and then they moved to GA (outside Savannah). She was also disappoonted in the schools. She got a job teaching and said her A students there would be C students in Maryland. Her DD has gone to private school for years. As for the drugs, I believe they are everywhere and in private and public schools. I would tend to believe parent reviews more than rankings but you never know a person's motivation for writing the review. If you have friends or family in that area, have you asked for their input?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Thanks for your insight! We lived in Maryland (Montgomery Co) and know the rigor of their education we just moved to Colorado over last summer.

I grew up in this school/area that I am talking about in my OP. When I contrast the parent/student reviews from the current school my boys are slated to go in CO to the ones in the area I grew up in in GA they are totally diff. In GA, most mentioned drugs, drinking, suicide, cliques, etc. In CO, they talk more about rigor, cost for activities, expectations, etc. It just concerns me!

I never did drugs but was around it and had access to it. I do talk to my kids but I was wondering if this geographical area was more likely to have it then mid-west.

Thanks again for your geographical perspective!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

DH's cousin was a eacher in Maryland and then they moved to GA (outside Savannah). She was also disappoonted in the schools. She got a job teaching and said her A students there would be C students in Maryland. Her DD has gone to private school for years. As for the drugs, I believe they are everywhere and in private and public schools. I would tend to believe parent reviews more than rankings but you never know a person's motivation for writing the review. If you have friends or family in that area, have you asked for their input?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ClassyMom619
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Drug are everywhere now, but the degree varies from area to area and school to school. My daughter is only 2 years from entering high school so I've researched it with my friends who have kids in HS now. Sadly, I have to make her work even harder to get into a good private school out here. The main public school in my area has really gone downhill since they took away zoning laws. Now it's not just the neighborhood kids who go there, it's anyone who wants to on the island. They take trains & buses to get to our school. But I have nothing but good recommendations form the private schools in the area, so that's the route we will have to take. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I'm almost positive she was in Montgomery county too! I totally get what you're saying about the difference in reviews. In our district, there is a huge determination and devotion to setting and reaching high standards from teachers and parents. My cousin moved from here to the Las Vegas area when her oldest DD was 16 and she did so well on the entrance exams, they just were going to graduate her. My cousin kept her in school for that year but it wasn't challenging. The school one of my BFFs went to (about 25 minutes from here) was just renovated so I looked up the pictures. There were 2 reviews, one by a recent grad and all he had to say was the teachers didn't care and everyone did drugs. It made me sad for him. A former co-worker's daughter graduated from that school a few years ago and she said it was a big place for drugs. I went to high school MANY years ago and I know drugs were there but was not prevalant and very easy to stay away from (I did). You just have to teach your kids to say no and hope they do it.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Thanks for your insight! We lived in Maryland (Montgomery Co) and know the rigor of their education we just moved to Colorado over last summer.

I grew up in this school/area that I am talking about in my OP. When I contrast the parent/student reviews from the current school my boys are slated to go in CO to the ones in the area I grew up in in GA they are totally diff. In GA, most mentioned drugs, drinking, suicide, cliques, etc. In CO, they talk more about rigor, cost for activities, expectations, etc. It just concerns me!

I never did drugs but was around it and had access to it. I do talk to my kids but I was wondering if this geographical area was more likely to have it then mid-west.

Thanks again for your geographical perspective!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM

High school is what your children make of it. There will always be the good and the bad; however it's what you expose your children to that will have them make positive choices. My daughters are involved with drama and hang with a totally different group of people. Their attitudes and creativity are just plain crazy (I spent a day with them on a State trip). They all were well behaves, dress crazy, didn't eat, performed, and "partied" (stay up all hours of the night talking). They also were involved with the community theater which has a lot of the same HS people as well as prominent members of the community so they children know they cannot act out because I have spies.

Most school district has a zero tolerance for drugs. Meaning is you child has any type of pills or medicine on them, they will be suspended or expelled (this includes cough drops). Student who drive are not allow to go the their car once school has started. Some times the do bring a drug sniffing dog on campus but you agree with it when you sign for the parking permit.

Giving your children a good foundation is what will help them make the best and wisest decisions, avoid the peer pressure, and be an positive example to others that may not have the background of positive parent(s). GL with the move and personally I would no stress out about it know because you never know what the future holds for you and your family.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MB13:

Supervision and knowing your kids friends is very important!  When I hosted the kids at my house, I provided all drinks.  Noone was allowed to walk in with a "water" bottle.  I also had them leave backpacks and purses in the area by the front door.  If they needed "something" from their bag, they had to open it in front of me because I could see them from my chair.  They were also not allowed to run in and out to their cars.

I'm going to have to remember this! Ds1 is in 7th gr, so h.s. isn't that far off for me : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)