Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

High School...ok it is far off I know BUT

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 28 Replies

Ok, I know high school is pretty far off for our kids in Elem. right now.  But we are thinking about moving in a year back to the area I grew up (northern suburb of Atlanta) so I started looking on great schools today to see some reviews of the High Schools.

I have been pretty disappointed.  Yes, they have high greatschools ratings (10) BUT in the parent comments there are tons of comments about drugs, cliques, etc).  I remember when I was in school there, drugs were becoming a big issue but now if feels like it is so much more prevelant. 

So my question is....are drugs in HS everywhere and I will have to learn to teach my kids to deal with it.   To me drugs seem so much more available and prevalent in schools in the south, then mid-west.  What are your thoughts?  What are your worries about HS?  Do you have older kids in HS now...what is their take on HS (ie. drugs, cliques, etc.)?

Thanks...I am just not sure moving back to GA is a good idea.  I swore I would never go back b/c I hated living there but the financial opportunity and the lower cost of living is hard to turn down.

Looking for any feedback ~ Jen

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysty923
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

They are not prevalent everywhere

But you do have to be diligent - it is weird how it goes by area.  In each city -there are suburbs - and teh suburbs that have drug problems maybe surprising - but there are always some suburban schools with more drug problems than others.   Schools have changed since we have been in school for sure!

However, know that even in private schools you have to be vigilant.  There are mor different degrees of drug problems in those also - some bad - some Moderate - some amazingly low.

NO matter what - you will have to be a guide and help the kids be strong. 

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It is everywhere now. If a kid wants to find it they will. However, if you can keep your child on the straight and narrow and not be influenced by peers, they can avoid the drugs, alchohol, etc. They have a lot more to lose nowadays.

MB13
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I live in the Mid-west and my last DS is graduating from High School this year.  Drugs are everywhere!!!  Fortunately, both of my children had a pretty good peer group and the parents communicate frequently and are basically on the same page regarding, supervision and expectation.  Therefore, they have pretty  much stayed away from the drug scene.  My children go to a private Catholic school, and the drugs and alcohol along with the snobby cliques and bullying is just as bad or worse than the public schools in our area.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vermontmoms:

Thanks...I am just not sure moving back to GA is a good idea.  I swore I would never go back b/c I hated living there but the financial opportunity and the lower cost of living is hard to turn down.

Before even putting in any input about the HS concerns you have above, I wanted to address this. If you hate living there, I don't think you should consider moving there UNLESS you have a fixed income opportunity. Typically if the cost of living is lower, then salaries are lower too. We moved to a higher cost of living area 7 years ago, and we're doing as well as we did in a lower cost of living area because our incomes are higher here. But if I was on fixed income (either though staying with the same employer or income for my field was the same across the nation or SSI), then I could it being beneficial to going to a lower income area.

MB13
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Supervision and knowing your kids friends is very important!  When I hosted the kids at my house, I provided all drinks.  Noone was allowed to walk in with a "water" bottle.  I also had them leave backpacks and purses in the area by the front door.  If they needed "something" from their bag, they had to open it in front of me because I could see them from my chair.  They were also not allowed to run in and out to their cars.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

My son is not in HS yet, but we were looking for junior highs this year and so I was looking also into the HS in our area some based on where the junior highs "feed" into. Also some charter schools in our area are 7-12, and some of those were considerations after this year of elementary school is over.

I do think clicks and drugs are everywhere, just like when we were in HS. But some parents that I know in our area reminded me that there are so many kids in high school that in some ways it was easier for their kids to make friends. They may not have been part of a popular click, but they were happier because they found more kids than in junior high or elementary that had the same interests. Of course, with social media what it is nowadays, they did say some things are harder for kids now.

Also, when I was in HS, I stuck to the advanced classes to stay away from the bad influences in HS. I've heard the same thing seems to ring true in HS today. The HS we are considering for our son are all smaller or have IB programs, which I'm encouraging him to push for. My oldest sister graduated with an IB degree, and it's almost like the program is a school within the normal HS. His junior high next year is an IB school, and so I'm hoping that will help him be more interested in the program.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Drugs are everywhere now. I have been teaching my son to say no to things just being handed to him since K. You never know what kids are going to try. Did you see the news on how kids are seperating the alcohol out of hand sanitizer by using salt and then drinking the almost pure alcohol? It's crazy and everywhere. You need to educate your children at an extremely young age.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Quoting MB13:

Supervision and knowing your kids friends is very important!  When I hosted the kids at my house, I provided all drinks.  Noone was allowed to walk in with a "water" bottle.  I also had them leave backpacks and purses in the area by the front door.  If they needed "something" from their bag, they had to open it in front of me because I could see them from my chair.  They were also not allowed to run in and out to their cars.

That is a great idea.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Every school has its issues (drugs, bullying, teen pregnancy etc.).  I know that when my kids get to Highschool, I am going to be giving them the same lectures my parents gave me.  I also believe that communication is the key. Don't be afraid to talk with you kids about the concequences of making poor choices. 

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM
It would be very beneficial financially. My mom passed away recently and my Dad needs to move into my Grandmas house so he would be giving us his house well below mrkt value. My spouse's income is fixed and would not change. We would save over 1K a month.

The other factor is we would have family close-by. My bff from HS still lives near and the neighbors I grew up with still live next door to my parents house and love me like their own. We would also be able to get a dog for the boys b/c the house sits on an acre.

The reasons I hate ATL is traffic, weather, humidity, outdoor allergies for my son would be so much worse, bugs, and the mentality of the people (anti-gay family, which we are, etc). Oh, and I just love Colorado and the beautiful weather and activities outdoors! Moving from Colorado would be very hard for me but the kids are ready to go as we asked them how they would feel about moving last night.
Quoting Barabell:

Quoting vermontmoms:

Before even putting in any input about the HS concerns you have above, I wanted to address this. If you hate living there, I don't think you should consider moving there UNLESS you have a fixed income opportunity. Typically if the cost of living is lower, then salaries are lower too. We moved to a higher cost of living area 7 years ago, and we're doing as well as we did in a lower cost of living area because our incomes are higher here. But if I was on fixed income (either though staying with the same employer or income for my field was the same across the nation or SSI), then I could it being beneficial to going to a lower income area.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN