Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you be upset? Or concerned?

Posted by   + Show Post
My ds is in 2nd grade, he has never been sent home from school. On wed I got a call at 9:45, saying he threw up and needed to be picked up, ok np. My ds was fine when he went to grandmas, before school, I guess he had a headache, so he got 1 chewable tylenol (yes thats enough for him normally). well yesterday he said he felt much better, and has been fine since, but I decided to ask what he ate, since he threw up 2 more times before noon, then was fine the rest of the day. He said all he had at grandmas was pancakes (which was confirmed), but at school they tasted something new (which is normal, different veggies, fruits ect. I am fine with this)... They had dried apricots, my son is NOT to have fruit which he is allergic to. He knows better, but for some reason thought b/c it was dried it wasnt fruit, lol. So I called the school and informed them that they need to recheck all records again, to see if they are marked correctly. This time he was ok, but they didnt give him benadryl or nothing, just assumed he had a bug. So would you be mad, I was not mad at first, but now it just pisses me off that they somehow missed it (when they were supposed to check first).

Sorry I know its long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
nyonlymom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I'm glad I don't have to deal with food allergies, but yes, I would be mad.  They should have made sure that it wasn't a food your son is allergic to.  If they saw that it was they should have said, "I'm sorry, _______, but you can't have that.  You're allergic".

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

I would make sure they know now. I think you did the right thing by calling the school to remind them. I would let this one go and make sure it never happens again. Make sure your son also knows what is on his do not eat (or have near him) list. I am glad he is ok.

family in the van   Mom of four

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I most definitely would have been concerned AND upset! If he's allergic to something they need to make sure that he doesn't consume it, geeez! I think it's time for a chat with the teachers and principal.. That's scary! I'm happy it didn't turn out badly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

i thinki i would be a little upset that they didnt check thier record of the children trying the new things so they ycould make sure they werent giving the kids some thing they cant have and arrange some thing different for that child.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Quoting ReiReally:

Even with your son being old enough to know better, the school still should have at least peeked at his file. It's not paying attention to these little things that cause more serious to happen that could have been prevented.
At least you told them. Write down somewhere, on your calendar or something this incident and how you responded and keep it on file. If it happens again, you can use this against the school.

I agree.  I hate when people defend the school or teachers for not checking or being too busy to do so.  Um, the school asks each year & YOU provide them with pertinent MEDICAL info for a reason.  So what's the point if they're too busy to remember or busy with other kids or don't bother checking?  They've been informed & should be held accountable, just like they expect our kids to be.  And I would be very upset by it because something serious could have happened.  We send our kids to school & entrust them into the care of strangers.  If we're all up in their business then we're helicopter or nosy parents or a bother so they need to do their jobs correctly.  I've had a couple of incidents with my son & I keep him home now because I can't trust his teacher to follow a simple instruction.  Why should my child have to suffer. 

Heartlight617
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Yes, I'd be angry. They need to have orders to give him Benadryl if necessary. Does he have an EpiPen in school? Then, they should know!
Write instructions and be sure they keep it in his record. How foolish of them:(
Do they have a food allergy table he can sit at? Some schools have that.
twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM
His allergy has not hit epi-pen qualifications yet (the pedi won't sign off yet)...he is gradually getting worse each month, this summer I am making an appt for an allergist (they are here once every other month)...he does break out in a rash, gets number 2 really bad, and i's starting to get itchy in his mouth....do although it is not full blown allergies, it does need the same attention as if it was, we pedi and I signed a epi release form in case of an emergency though. They do have orders for the cabaret, thats what makes me upset. Oh yah and no special table, there is only 350 students in the whole school

Quoting Heartlight617:

Yes, I'd be angry. They need to have orders to give him Benadryl if necessary. Does he have an EpiPen in school? Then, they should know!

Write instructions and be sure they keep it in his record. How foolish of them:(

Do they have a food allergy table he can sit at? Some schools have that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

My son said his school started giving the cafeteria workers (that help with the purchasing of lunches) cards with pictures of students with their allergies. He said it's hard for the workers to remember all of the kids' names, and so the pictures help the workers recognize who has an allergy.

So it could be as simple as a worker not knowing who your son is or possibly not being aware of his allergy.

If I contacted the school in your place, I would try to address it in a proactive way of suggesting different ways for them to improve recognizing allergies in the lunchroom.

twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM
They have this in place, for lunch. However the different taste things are done in the classroom with volunteers...it should have been known what classrooms have issues with allergies.

Quoting Barabell:

My son said his school started giving the cafeteria workers (that help with the purchasing of lunches) cards with pictures of students with their allergies. He said it's hard for the workers to remember all of the kids' names, and so the pictures help the workers recognize who has an allergy.

So it could be as simple as a worker not knowing who your son is or possibly not being aware of his allergy.

If I contacted the school in your place, I would try to address it in a proactive way of suggesting different ways for them to improve recognizing allergies in the lunchroom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My daughter is allergic to adhesives.  So, no stickers on her body and definately NO BANDAIDS. Her skin blisters. This is a tough one because it's odd.  I send a special "First aid" kit with her and she knows she cannot use them.  Still we were at the doctors' office getting shots one year and had just told the nurse but through habit, she grabbed the bandaid anyway! Linds told her again before I had a chance to.  I'd make sure - especially since it's an unusual allergy - that his teacher knows about it, and remind her as needed.  Make sure your son knows what he cannot have so he can help avoid this from happening

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)