Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Got a Call From Her Teacher PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

DD is in kindergarten.  Her teacher just called me to ask if things have changed at home.  DD is hugging more than she used to and having break downs over small things more often. Things have not changed at home.  I am a SAHM and DH works.

Have any of you had to deal with an emotionally sensitive child and if so what did you do or how long before they out grew it?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Maybe some extra 1:1 at home would help. I find that a mommy daughter date somewhere fun like going for ice cream or dinner somewhere (fast food joint is ok, doesn't need to be fancy) gives a chance for us to chat and I can see if there is anything going on, or any friend issues.

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I was an emotionally sensitive child and I'm an emotionally sensitive adult. It's a personality trait, not a problem.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

its normal my daughter is 4 and goes threw this from tme to time. it will pass the teacher is just looking into it too muh lol

Fairywings1223
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM
It's normal. My oldest son is like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

my 3rd grader still does this, she will start crying when her math gets too hard.  I don't think it's something that needs to "stop" but it's always good to try to teach new coping techniques like "slow down, take it one step at a time, break it down into easier bits... etc."

jessi2girls
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Could be a number of things... perhaps she's having trouble socializing at school with the other kids, maybe she feels you are too busy sometimes at home or that things between you and her or her and her dad have been more distant.

Try taking her out, just her, for some one on one bonding time with just you and her and see if that helps first.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM

My middle child is 14 and very emotional and sensitive.  My hubby is sensitive.  So, as someone said, it's a personality trait.  Just be sure you are spending some one on one time with her and talk.

family in the van   Mom of four

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM
I have a 3rd grade son who is the exact same way! Math is hard for him, and if something is hard for him, he gets upset and frustrated and cries easily.

Quoting mhaney03:

my 3rd grader still does this, she will start crying when her math gets too hard.  I don't think it's something that needs to "stop" but it's always good to try to teach new coping techniques like "slow down, take it one step at a time, break it down into easier bits... etc."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I am doing a Mommy-Daughter Day on Saturday.  I know I cried very easily as a child and so did one of my nephews.  I thank the teacher for calling me.  She was doing her job and trying to nip a possible problem before anything serious happened.  We did have a talk this afternoon, only time will tell if she really understood what I was saying to her.

B.Gabi.Y
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM
I remember when Yusef was in kindergarten he used to hug everyone. I think he did it to make friends. Im not saying that your daughter doesnt have any friends but maybe she is hugging everyone to get some attention or maybe it is to make some friends. I would just talk to her and explain about personal space. Try your best to make a kindergartener understand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)