Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to wait or not to wait

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
  • 114 Replies
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It really depends on the child. If you feel he is not ready chances are he is not. Good luck in your decision!

MB13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Take him to school and have the Kindergarten teacher meet/test him.  Many people hold their kids out for a year for maturity reasons.  This is not uncommon, especially with boys.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

My son won't go until he's six. But his birthday is a couple of weeks before the cut off. Your son's is right in the middle so it's not like he will be the youngest. 

My younger son's birthday is in December. He will go when he's five for sure. 

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM
my dd turned 5 in July, and we started her in August- everyone told us she was ready, preschool teachers, etc. she's now in 2nd grade, and while she reads far above her grade level, and her math is just a little ahead, it has been a struggle in my opinion- not so much she doesn't understand the content- more concentration (or lack there of!) IF I had it to do over, I'd probably keep her back a year- not for kindergarten but then we'd have this current concentration we have in 2nd grade back in 1st grade- but then again who's to say that wasn't something she learned in 2nd grade and we still would have struggled in 1st grade??! it's a tough decision for sure, but my suggestion would be to look forward into 2nd or 3rd grade cause chances are kindergarten will be great either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
10 moms liked this

Or he could go ahead and go to K and then at the end of the year be evaluated to see if he needs to repeat or go to 1st. Socialization is going to help him to mature emotionally. Staying home probably won't help him. If you have him in a daycare or playgroup that may be enough. 

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM

my kids will both be almost 6 when they start k but that is because their b-days are in oct. and nov. so they did not make the cutoff for 5. 

Charizma77
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM
My kids had fall birthdays but were 5 when they started and turned 6 shortly after. But, I'm a big fan of starting kids when they are ready and not just because of an age. There will be plenty of older kids in his class.
andersongirl562
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No because it is way better for them to redo kindergarten than a higher grade...also kids tend to behave better and act more mature when not around their own parents.

lowencope
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Yep summer birthday we did kinder twice.
aviatioNation
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do it, it makes no sense to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)