Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (61-70):
Mom2Just1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

My son was 5 years and 3 months when he started Kindergarten.  No regrets and we are coming to the end of kindergarten.  He has already been promoted to 1st grade.  His teacher told me he works hard, excels, and we have had no problems with him in the classroom.  He has even been nominated for academic awards and won several this year.  

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

woozybear
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I started all my kids in kindergarten at 6.  1 was due to a summer birthday.  The other two refused to get completely potty trained, and I felt like they just were not ready even if they would have been. 

gemini53176
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM
my daughter was almost 6 but her bday was in nov. school up north starts in sept. she definetly wasnt ready at age 5
mnmo3bb
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

It depends on the child and there is nothing wrong with waiting. There are Pre-K programs to help him get ready or just keep home for another year.

My oldest's birthday is in September so her first day of Kindergarten was her 6th birthday. My older son has a late November birthday and if we weren't home schooling, we would have held him behind a year. Our younger son has a July birthday and while I think the cutoff should be moved back to June 1 instead of September 1st, he turns 5 this summer and I know he is ready. It just really depends on the child! Do what you think is right for your child.  

Amy, mother to five beautiful blessings!
"Dani B" (8), "Topher" (7), "Lukie Bob" (4), 
"Bella" (2), 
& Baby "Sammy" Due December 5, 2012!!!!! 
pregnancy calendar 
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [food & clothing] shall be added unto you.

ClassyMom619
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

No, my son started kindergarten at 4 because he turned 5 three weeks into the school year and my daughter started at 5 because her birthday was before school started. But they were also in pre-k for years 3 & 4 so the transition to kindergarten was no big deal. 

o0gone0o
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest missed the cut off by 1 day. He won't start kindergarden until he is almost 6. If he fell in the cut off time frame I probably would still wait the extra year just because I know where he is right now he is no where near ready.

ClassyMom619
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the way it is here as well. Kindergarten does teach social skills, but our classes are structured more around the academics than the socialization. Our kindergarten children are doing what I remember to be taught in 1st & 2nd grade when I was a kid. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Actually, in some places that is no longer the case.  In our state they are learning what they used to learn in 1st grade. Parents, need to research what their district teaches in K, ask the school, to see if their child is ready for K academically, socially etc. It used to be that way, and I think for some kids it would be better if it were still that way. However a lot of schools, now days, kindergarten is about a,b, c's, 1,2,3's, addition, subtraction, reading, writing and also socialization and all the things you mentioned.  My dd was ready fortunately. I have a friend who pushed her child to do and she admits now, he was not ready. He is being held back to repeat K next year.  To be promoted to 1st they have to meet certain academic abilities are they are retained in K. (reply not meant to be snarky...just chit chat)

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Since Kindergarten is more about providing socialization it might be better to put him in now.  Unless he's provided with other forms of socialization like group play-dates or church or something.  To wait or not is totally up to the parent and what they feel their child can handle, but putting it off might make it even harder since it's another year of not being presented with the situation and therefore one more year to get set in his ways.  I plan to put my child in "early" since his birthday is right at the cut-off, but my son is sort of "old" for his age and already most of his friends are older than him and so he'll be starting with them, which is perfect.

Kindergarten is not about ABC's (ask any early childhood teacher), it's about learning how to learn in a structured environment and cope with the different social situations they'll be presented with from there on out in school.  It's emotional prep work.

howcrazy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SadiasMomma:

I think it is crazy that a four year old could be in kindergarten. I think it is far too young and maturity levels aren't there. That is why many states are switching cutoffs so that you have to be five before the beginning of the school year. You shouldn't feel pressure to start your child because it is the norm, but I bet he surprises you.
Rosehawk
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I did. I had no choice. In my state a child has to be five on or before August 31st to start kindergarten for that year. My son has an October birthday. He missed that cutoff by 6 weeks. So, he started kindergarten and the next month turned 6. He's now 8.5 and finishing up 2nd grade this year.

I contemplated seeing if I could get him tested in early, academically he was READY at just shy of 5 years old. Socially he wasn't even close. On another mom's networking site I asked if I should put him in early or not. I got over 100 responses from educators, parents who put their kids in early, adults that were put in early, you name it. The overwhelming response (98% or so) was: WAIT!!!!

One conversation that really stuck with me was a conversation I had with a 4th grade teacher. Her particular class that year was full of kids with spring birthdays. They were an immature group. Because of that she had a REALLY hard time teaching classes like sex ed. They'd all just start giggling and it would degenerate from there.

Academics are not the end-all, be-all. Yes, they are important. Being socially and emotionally ready are equally as important too.

Rosehawk
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

This is also a thought. Bluemonster just reminded me of a childhood friend of mine. She had a July birthday, just 3 months younger than I am. We both started kindergarten the same year. At the end of the year, her parents decided she was not ready for 1st grade yet so they had her repeat kindergarten. That was the best decision they made for her. I don't know/remeber the reasons for keeping her back, just that she wasn't ready yet.

Quoting bleumonster:

Or he could go ahead and go to K and then at the end of the year be evaluated to see if he needs to repeat or go to 1st. Socialization is going to help him to mature emotionally. Staying home probably won't help him. If you have him in a daycare or playgroup that may be enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN