Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
cowboysgirl3227
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I waited until my son was 6 to start him in kindergarten.  It was a very good decision for him.  He did very well, as he got older he loved the fact that he was one of the oldest in his class.  I just knew he was not ready when he was 5.  You know your child best and if you feel he is not ready yet then waiting will be a good thing for him. 

MamaK313
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My son will be about a month away from turning six when he starts kindergarten. I've had a lot of people tell me that it's better for boys to have a little more time to mature before they start.

3KidsOneMom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I would just let him go to Kindergarten for 2 years.

3KidsOneMom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That means that he will turn 7 in jan while still in kindergarten...thats crazy to me!!! and that he will graduate high school when he is 19.

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

We did because our daughter is autistic-She was registered @ 5 but after I contacted the school psych we decided it was better to wait a year-for OUR family it was the best decision.

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

That means that he will turn 7 in jan while still in kindergarten...thats crazy to me!!! and that he will graduate high school when he is 19.

What's the big deal? I worked with 2 girls who graduated at 19 simply because of where there birthday fell.

It depends on each child,for some it has to deal with birthdate cut offs when they can start,for some it has to deal with comprehensive, social and emotional readiness.

Some kids just aren't ready at age 5 and hat extra year gives them the time to catch up.

R2ch231
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM
It might be good to get him in pre-k if you feel he isn't ready. This will help prep him in the structure of school and kindergarten. With pre-k he doesn't have to go all day.
JocelynsMama1
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt advise that....actually its not even legal in my state....that would mean he would start school at actuall 6 1/2 and turn 7 in kindergarten!!! I realize he may not be ready emotionally but the only think goin to help him is going to school thats why socialization is a major factor in preschool...all your going to do is hurt him later in life because he will et made fun of for people thinking he failed or got held back....if he is really smart another option would be homeschoolin for kinderarten then he would just test the followin year to start in 1st grade...one of my friends did that with her soon...but if she hadnt homeschooled him the truency officer was going to intervine because he needed to be in school

SadiasMomma
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
seriously!! my daughter turned 5 three months into kindergarten. i think i would be annoyed if a bunch of her classmates turned SEVEN just a few days later!!! its not fair for her to be compared to children who are 2 years older than her, they are not her peers and shouldn't be in her class.

if there are such huge concerns, then parents should have.their.children evaluated by professionals. a 7 year old in kindergarten is really just crazy to me.

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarahb21
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My son started kindergarten 1 week before he turned 6. He's the oldest in his class. He missed the cut off date by 13 days. Honestly I'm glad we started him late. We could have gotten a waiver signed by his preschool teacher to start early but I think it helped his maturity level waiting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN