Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM

My son turned 5 in February and he will be going to school this fall. I think waiting is putting him at a disadvantage. He will be older then all his classmates and it will be like he stayed back and if he ever really does stay back he will be WAY older then his classmates.

mommaof3girls24
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My youngest wont be 6 until august 30th which means she has to wait another year. She has a severe speech delay and will be getting therapies but I feel its the best for her anyway. Good luck!

Jennifer--Mommy to Hannah, Kayla, and Gracie and wife to Gary

bmack2107
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

You know, DS is the same way. He is in 2nd grade and he lacks concentration SO much. He makes careless mistakes on his work. He is VERY smart, and reads at almost a 5th grade reading level (4.7 AR) and he already knows how to multiply. Maybe it's just a phase they go through where they are so antsy, and all they can think about is NOT wanting to sit in a desk all day lol.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

my dd turned 5 in July, and we started her in August- everyone told us she was ready, preschool teachers, etc. she's now in 2nd grade, and while she reads far above her grade level, and her math is just a little ahead, it has been a struggle in my opinion- not so much she doesn't understand the content- more concentration (or lack there of!) IF I had it to do over, I'd probably keep her back a year- not for kindergarten but then we'd have this current concentration we have in 2nd grade back in 1st grade- but then again who's to say that wasn't something she learned in 2nd grade and we still would have struggled in 1st grade??! it's a tough decision for sure, but my suggestion would be to look forward into 2nd or 3rd grade cause chances are kindergarten will be great either way.

fallenangel7386
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

My son will also turn 5 in january next year.  he will start the following august and turn 6 that january. I think he is ready now for school. 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM
no not us..
Allie01
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

My daughter is an October baby and we started her right before she turned 5. She had gone to threeschool and preschool before starting Kindergarten and was definitley ready to start as far as knowing the material goes. But looking back, I don't think she was quite ready emotionally. She is doing fine now that it is the end of the school year but she had a hard time adjusting at first. I would wait if you don't think he is ready, they grow up so fast there is no point in pushing it!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I see nothing wrong with waiting. My DD will be one of the oldest this year when she starts K.

Mudfishzgirl
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I did with my DD. She is incredibly shy and has a hard time talking to people she doesn't know so we waited a year and she started school at 6. She's doing great now and she is still shy but it's a little better than it was. She's in 3rd now. The only downside is she is older than everyone else. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM
A lot of kids have a hard time adjusting, though. I don't think it's an age thing, so much as a "new situation" thing. Threeschool and preschool are fine, but kinder is still a whole different ballgame. Just like there's an adjustment period in middle school, high school, and college.

Quoting Allie01:

My daughter is an October baby and we started her right before she turned 5. She had gone to threeschool and preschool before starting Kindergarten and was definitley ready to start as far as knowing the material goes. But looking back, I don't think she was quite ready emotionally. She is doing fine now that it is the end of the school year but she had a hard time adjusting at first. I would wait if you don't think he is ready, they grow up so fast there is no point in pushing it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
legalize.it
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

my daughter did not start till she was six, but i homeschooled her for pre-k and K. her transcripts were in my exes house when it got repossessed, so she had to do kindergarten again, but she is doing very well. I would say trust your instincts, maybe try and find a half day program locally so you can prepare him and get him used to the structure and the idea of school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)