Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
Autumn19
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

my son just turned 5 in jan and will be going in the fall. did you have your son in pre K? if you wait another yr he will be 1 maybe 2 yrs older than his class mates.

momoftatertots
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM
My son will start this year he turns 6 right after the start
UpsideDown
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

My son started school when he was 6.  WHen he turned 5 it was only two weeks before the beginning of the school year and I just didn't think he was ready.  

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

School Dist rules are kids starting Kindergarten MUST be 5 on or before Sept 1st here in Phila.  There are absolutely no acceptions to this rule!  My boys birthday is Sept 3rd, essentially missing the cut off date by 2 days!!  They had to stay in Pre-K an additionl year and start Kindergarten the following Sept and I was pissed at the time.

They are Autistic and honestly wouldn't have been able to handle starting Kindergarten at 5 and looking back now, I am thankful that we had to wait that year because it gave us a chance to send them to an Early Intervention Pre School for Autistic children so when they did finally attend Kindergarten at 6 they were able to handle it much better!

Some kids can handle starting Kindergarten at 5 and other's can benefit from waiting an additional year and starting at 6...all depends on the child as well as the School District rules.

acatlin10000
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM

School started the end of August and my daughter's birthday was early September.  The cut off date is the end of September.  We waited a year to send her to Kindergarten.  She was two weeks shy of six when she started.

IQuitCounting
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Since Kindergarten is more about providing socialization it might be better to put him in now.  Unless he's provided with other forms of socialization like group play-dates or church or something.  To wait or not is totally up to the parent and what they feel their child can handle, but putting it off might make it even harder since it's another year of not being presented with the situation and therefore one more year to get set in his ways.  I plan to put my child in "early" since his birthday is right at the cut-off, but my son is sort of "old" for his age and already most of his friends are older than him and so he'll be starting with them, which is perfect.

Kindergarten is not about ABC's (ask any early childhood teacher), it's about learning how to learn in a structured environment and cope with the different social situations they'll be presented with from there on out in school.  It's emotional prep work.

Chymerra
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM

In my state, any kiddo entering Kindergarten must be 5 by September 1st.  My kids both have November birthdays.  My DD was 5 1/2 when she started Kindergarten and my DS will be the same.

Allebas
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I have 5 children. My first two were not 5 before the cut-off, so they had to start at age 6. Our 3rd child was born in June, so he started when he was 5. He was SOOOO READY!! Our 4th child was born in April, so he started at age 5 and is doing FANTASTIC now that he's in First Grade! Our baby will be 5 next January, so she will be ALMOST 6 when she starts the following year. We do A LOT of reading, work-books you get at the store, flash cards, etc and this has helped them to be ready for Kindergarten! My kids are very social anyway, so they did just fine when they started school. Our 4 kids who've already started school, their Kindergarten teachers couldn't believe that none of them were ever sent to Pre-school, b/c they are so smart, get along so well with other, and sit quietly etc!! They said usually the ones who don't go to Pre-school aren't as good with their behavior, and usually have trouble in other areas. I explained I teach them EVERYTHING PLUS MORE that they would have learned at an EXPENSIVE Pre-school at home, and that is a BIG part of WHY they do so well right from the start!! They also have my DH's AWESOME genes!! He's VERY INTELLIGENT!!!  :  )

-42-
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son started at five. We had him in pre-school beforehand, but the pre-school program was a joke.

So he's been in kindergarten this school year. His teacher has suggested he gets held back for the next year. He's very immature for his age, and his retention is not where it needs to be. 

He is the same as your son....he is very smart, but his maturity level is not where it needs to be for him to excel.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

2 of mine had late fall bdays, so we had no choice but to start late. They did good.  My youngest turned 5 July before starting in August.  She has done so good.  Go based on your child and what your child's needs are.  One child can flourish at 5 while another is not quite ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN