Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (81-90):
lillady398
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

WTH, are you serious?  Sounds like youre not emotionally ready to even consider that. I thought all kids had to go through the normal feelings of seperation when they start kindergarten. He will mof course feel sad but he will be alright after being with other kids his age and hopefully having a fun teacher.

SadiasMomma
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM
...then that child should be in a class which caters to her abilities.

Quoting ZsMommy:

So by this you're saying because my daughter was 6 all through kindergarten and turned 7 two weeks after the last day of school-but because chronoigically she was older yet comprehensively she was equal or slightly younger than the 5 turning 6 year olds that she shouldn't have been allowed in a kindergarten classroom she should have been forced to first grade simply by age???

You can't figure solely on chronological age -you have to figure in comprehensive. That 7 year od may have been comprehensively younger than your daughter's peers.

Quoting SadiasMomma:

seriously!! my daughter turned 5 three months into kindergarten. i think i would be annoyed if a bunch of her classmates turned SEVEN just a few days later!!! its not fair for her to be compared to children who are 2 years older than her, they are not her peers and shouldn't be in her class.

if there are such huge concerns, then parents should have.their.children evaluated by professionals. a 7 year old in kindergarten is really just crazy to me.

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

That means that he will turn 7 in jan while still in kindergarten...thats crazy to me!!! and that he will graduate high school when he is 19.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM

In general I prefer waiting, but each child is unique so its a kid-by-kid basis.
  Your gut feeling, and in your comment sounds like you understand the waiting-emotionally ready thing, so I'd guess you are right about that.

Is this regular public school?

doulala
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Quoting lillady398:

WTH, are you serious?  Sounds like youre not emotionally ready to even consider that. I thought all kids had to go through the normal feelings of seperation when they start kindergarten. He will mof course feel sad but he will be alright after being with other kids his age and hopefully having a fun teacher.

What about all the many other children who are also 7 in Kindergarten ?

housemommyto2
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM

My 7/8 dd was in a class that catered to her. It was a mainstream Kinder class. What are you concerned about? Why would it bother you so much that the children in your daughters class are older? The school district will  not allow the child to be in that class if it wasn't best for everyone. If the child is advanced or performing at a higher level they will move them. There is no threat to your child's academics by being exposed to a child that is older but on the same level. I don't believe in segregating children who are differently-abled. They should be mainstreamed as often as possible with an aid or accommodations. That is how they learn best and how the other students learn compassion. 

QuotingSadiasMomma:

Quoting ZsMommy:

So by this you're saying because my daughter was 6 all through kindergarten and turned 7 two weeks after the last day of school-but because chronoigically she was older yet comprehensively she was equal or slightly younger than the 5 turning 6 year olds that she shouldn't have been allowed in a kindergarten classroom she should have been forced to first grade simply by age???

You can't figure solely on chronological age -you have to figure in comprehensive. That 7 year od may have been comprehensively younger than your daughter's peers.

Quoting SadiasMomma:

seriously!! my daughter turned 5 three months into kindergarten. i think i would be annoyed if a bunch of her classmates turned SEVEN just a few days later!!! its not fair for her to be compared to children who are 2 years older than her, they are not her peers and shouldn't be in her class.

if there are such huge concerns, then parents should have.their.children evaluated by professionals. a 7 year old in kindergarten is really just crazy to me.

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

That means that he will turn 7 in jan while still in kindergarten...thats crazy to me!!! and that he will graduate high school when he is 19.

SadiasMomma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM
its about so much more than academics!! 5 and 7 are like 20 and 30 in terms of maturity in MOST cases. if a child is NEEDING the extra attention and has an IEP then it makes sense. but if a parent isn't ready to send johnny to school simply because they don't want to, well that's not right.

i certainly can't control everything my child is exposed to, but i wouldn't be comfortable with my 5 year old spending her days with a slew of children significantly older than her.

Quoting housemommyto2:

My 7/8 dd was in a class that catered to her. It was a mainstream Kinder class. What are you concerned about? Why would it bother you so much that the children in your daughters class are older? The school district will  not allow the child to be in that class if it wasn't best for everyone. If the child is advanced or performing at a higher level they will move them. There is no threat to your child's academics by being exposed to a child that is older but on the same level. I don't believe in segregating children who are differently-abled. They should be mainstreamed as often as possible with an aid or accommodations. That is how they learn best and how the other students learn compassion. 

QuotingSadiasMomma:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SadiasMomma:

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Yep summer birthday we did kinder twice

Runtstarr
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I am thinking of not putting my son in kindergarten til he is six. He is really hyper active and his attention span is very short. He is just a tad behind in preschool because of this..
3rd2bedue
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM

My son is going to Pre-k after his 3rd birthday. I dont want to wait to get mine in school. Like that other mother said, they can always retake if needed, but at least they've had the experience already! ^_^

My son needs to get all the experience he can, he is very emotional and will need a special class for his speech issues. However how would i be a better mother to him by keeping him away from learning to be in a classroom setting and in that environment that he will be in till 18years, ya know! ^_^ 

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My oldest had to for the age cut off, and she has done great.  My son started the year he turned 5 in June and K in Aug, he was one of the younger ones and will be grad the 5th grade this year he has done great, yeah there has been time of growth over the years and he has acted young esp in K and 1st but that hadnt stopped him or the teachers from teaching him.  Also my youngest girl turned 5 in March and started in Aug to school and she is now finishing up her 2nd grade year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)