Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son turned five in January therefore can start school in august. I am feeling that he is not ready for school yet he is very smart but still emotionally not there yet I think I should wait till next year. Have any of u started Ur kids at 6 instead of five?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (91-100):
LadyLotus3
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Mine will be 6 when he starts this fall(turns 6 in June). He'd have gone last fall had he been fully potty trained but he didnt feel the urge to do that til a few months ago.

I dont think it will be detrimental to hold them til 6. I think, if you as their parent, feel its in their best interest to start them at 6 then go for it. I know many who have done so and the kids have done brilliantly.

jmabal71
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
My DS1 was 6 when he started Kindergarten. It was the best decision I ever made. He has never been made fun of. My opinion if a child has to repeat a grade they may be more upset they don't move ahead with their friends. He can always be moved up if he's bored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen2313
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I agree about letting him go and just repeating Kindergarten if he needs too. My boys both went to preschool when they were 4. I think preschool helps so much to prepare them for Kindergarten.

TigressLily
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I won't send my DD to preschool, but kindergarten at 5 I think is the best time to do it. Where I grew up AND where I live now, you can get in huge trouble if you keep your kids out of school unless you are homeschooling them. Preschool is the only exception. I do believe a school setting is necessary at a young age, but preschool serves no purpose in my opinion. Some may argue that it is key for socialization, but there are many ways for a child to socialize and also the longer you keep them to yourself, the more you can teach them by example so that they will be ready. I will be sending my DD to kindergarten at 5 if possible {her birthday is August 19, so not sure if that will affect it or not yet of course}, but as long as you won't legally get into trouble, I see no problem in waiting a little longer, even if for "selfish" reasons lol, as mine are for the most part. Why send a child to preschool when you can have more bonding time by teaching them yourself up to the point of kindergarten?

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

So you don't believe in inclusion?

Just pack a the special need kids in one classroom like back in the 70's and 80's ????

Quoting SadiasMomma:

...then that child should be in a class which caters to her abilities.

Quoting ZsMommy:

So by this you're saying because my daughter was 6 all through kindergarten and turned 7 two weeks after the last day of school-but because chronoigically she was older yet comprehensively she was equal or slightly younger than the 5 turning 6 year olds that she shouldn't have been allowed in a kindergarten classroom she should have been forced to first grade simply by age???

You can't figure solely on chronological age -you have to figure in comprehensive. That 7 year od may have been comprehensively younger than your daughter's peers.

Quoting SadiasMomma:

seriously!! my daughter turned 5 three months into kindergarten. i think i would be annoyed if a bunch of her classmates turned SEVEN just a few days later!!! its not fair for her to be compared to children who are 2 years older than her, they are not her peers and shouldn't be in her class.

if there are such huge concerns, then parents should have.their.children evaluated by professionals. a 7 year old in kindergarten is really just crazy to me.

Quoting 3KidsOneMom:

That means that he will turn 7 in jan while still in kindergarten...thats crazy to me!!! and that he will graduate high school when he is 19.

mypbandj
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I held my son back but his birthday was August 28th. I don't think I'd hold him back though if his birthday was in January. I wouldn't want him to be THAT much older than the other kids. 

mommy10811
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM

i would wait a year honstly cuz i wasnt emotionally ready so my mom had to hold me back in kindergarten and she wishes she just waited a year then just putting me in when i wasnt ready

mommy-munster
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Wow after reading everybodies post I still feel I am right, what is with all of you and what age ur kid is when they graduate, a year age difference should not matter, what matters is ur child's stability and emotional happiness so they grow up happy and prepared for life so they can reach there potential to be great in life.
Mom_2_cuties
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I firmly believe in trusting your gut as a mom.  If you think he's not ready, then wait.  I truly wish I'd listened to my gut instead of others.  My son would be struggling a lot less right now due to his emotional immaturity. 

Maddogsmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Maybe, I just don't see any negatives to waiting. We actually did have to decide by August bc we would either need to send him to pre k or not. We could do two years of pre k if he wasn't ready but I'd rather just not send him to pre k and have to pay for two years of it, no need.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Isn't it kind of soon to make that decision? You really can't tell at this point how mature/ready he will be in a year-and-a-half. A lot can happen in that time.

Quoting Maddogsmommy:

My son is 3.5, but we have decided to do pre k at 5 and Kindergarten at 6. He is also very smart but I do not feel like he would be ready at 5 for K.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)