Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gee thanks for telling me my kid was getting an award!

So after school my mom called me & said the teacher told her she'd meant to tell her he was getting an award.  Say what????  My mom said he got a certificate because he tried to show it to her.   When he came home he showed me a wristband but didn't say anything about an award only that a lady gave it to him.  Huh.  He told me that when he got the certificate in the cafeteria he was looking around & at the chairs for me and his dad but didn't see us. :(  That's because we didn't know!

Now my son was out of school on Wednesday which is when the notice is usually sent home & he was out Thursday.  BUT my foster sister was there helping out in class on Wednesday & my mom saw the teacher after school yesterday.  She actually talked to her!  Apparently the teacher thought it was more important to give her his homework & not include the award info along with it.  And this morning when DB dropped him off at class & said something to her she still didn't mention it.  Here we were at home & 15 minutes after dropping him off at school he was getting an award.  ;(

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM
I understand that feeling I recently became injured so am a sahm until im healed but I missed so much when I was working. Have you talked to the teacher about it?

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting MommyJDTJ:

that must feel really crappy. i'm sorry. I would be so upset if it were me.

yeah.  all i could think was that right now i'm a sahm mom & can go to this stuff.  what happens if i get a job & can't be there?  :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

yeah I let him know that.  DB thinks at this point it should be the principal because he feels that stuff like that should be mailed ahead of time as well.  This school has a problem with letting people know things & giving them enough notice instead of 1 or 2 days. 

Quoting gem_mommie:

That's pretty crappy. I'd definitely tell his teacher how I felt about it too, and Id be honest with him and tell him you wouldn't have missed it if you had known. :/ that sucks.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I haven't because I've already talked to her about stuff & know what she's going to say.  What do you say to someone who acts like they feel bad & excuses it by being busy where it just slipped her mind.  I've heard that excuse plenty.  I'm still waiting for her to give my son a different book to take home to read & it's been over a month.  She knows I have concerns about his reading for the last 2 months & it was mentioned in November as well, but everyday he gets the same book as read in class.  Sigh.  I can't wait for this year to be over. 

Quoting MommyJDTJ:

I understand that feeling I recently became injured so am a sahm until im healed but I missed so much when I was working. Have you talked to the teacher about it?

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting MommyJDTJ:

yeah.  all i could think was that right now i'm a sahm mom & can go to this stuff.  what happens if i get a job & can't be there?  :(

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I hate it when the school doesn't tell you what is going on.  My DD was dancing in her school's talent show a couple of monthes ago.  I asked her teacher what time the show started. She told me 10am.  I dropped DH off at work the morning of the show, and headed over to the DD's school. Got there at 930 and was told by the school secretary that the show started at 9 at that they couldn't let me in!  I was upset.  The show meant alot to my daughter and I wanted to see her perform.  This wasn't the first time I missed out on an activity at the school due to not getting the right information.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM
My kid's school only notifies the parents IF it's a big end of the year award. The monthly awards given during the assemblies don't get publicized to the parents. I'm ok with this, because schools give out so many awards that not everyone will be happy. I will say a couple of years ago all 3 of my kids and my niece were getting the character awards for their grades and so the principal called us because obviously our family was being highly recognized, but in the previous years and since, we weren't called. I would just be really proud of my kid and celebrate outside of school as a family.
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Quoting MB13:

Sorry you missed it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM
An award for what?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Does your childs school not have a website that keeps you up to date?

Also, you can't put much on the principal as it is the teachers place to notify parents of upcoming events.

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Sounds like you should be complaining to the principal

Quoting mommy2cristian:

I haven't because I've already talked to her about stuff & know what she's going to say.  What do you say to someone who acts like they feel bad & excuses it by being busy where it just slipped her mind.  I've heard that excuse plenty.  I'm still waiting for her to give my son a different book to take home to read & it's been over a month.  She knows I have concerns about his reading for the last 2 months & it was mentioned in November as well, but everyday he gets the same book as read in class.  Sigh.  I can't wait for this year to be over. 

Quoting MommyJDTJ:

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting MommyJDTJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

ooh I would have been pissed & demanded to get in.  I can't even imagine, especially when you're telling your child you will be there. 

Quoting WesternNYmom:

I hate it when the school doesn't tell you what is going on.  My DD was dancing in her school's talent show a couple of monthes ago.  I asked her teacher what time the show started. She told me 10am.  I dropped DH off at work the morning of the show, and headed over to the DD's school. Got there at 930 and was told by the school secretary that the show started at 9 at that they couldn't let me in!  I was upset.  The show meant alot to my daughter and I wanted to see her perform.  This wasn't the first time I missed out on an activity at the school due to not getting the right information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)