Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teeth Question

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

My six year old is losing his baby teeth.  He has lost one of his front teeth and has gained two adult teeth.  The "shark teeth" aren't what freak me out, but the other front tooth is pushed almost all the way forward and has become crooked.  It wiggles a little but you think it would be looser since it's pretty much out.  I would upload a picture, but he has autism and refuses to let me mess with his mouth.  The crooked tooth has been like that for a month now and I am starting to get worried.  Has this ever happened to your child?  Do you think it's time to see a dentist?  I am hesitant on taking him because I know it will be a very eventful day trying to get him to cooperate.  He is non verbal and doesn't understand what I tell him so I am afraid he won't even let the dentist even take a peek.  Any ideas?

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MB13
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Find a dentist that specializes in working with children!  Some dentists now also offer mild sedatives for patients when they have their teeth cleaned/checked.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Quoting MB13:

Find a dentist that specializes in working with children!  Some dentists now also offer mild sedatives for patients when they have their teeth cleaned/checked.

I agree!!!
mommy to two boys,
Tyler
Aug 9th,02
Jacob
dec 28,11
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM
He should have been to the dentist sooner. But call around and find one that deals with children and get an appointment. But the tooth will come out on its own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I agree.  He needs to see a dentist.  Ask when you call or call around to find out which ones do sedation.  Also call your insurance company to find out if it's covered.  My son had cavities filled under twilight sedation I guess that's what it's called.  They gave him something to drink & then used laughing gas.  He was awake.  I know the dentist they go to now will put you to sleep for $100 if it's not covered under insurance. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM
This!! My kids were at the dentist before 2!!

Quoting kmrtigger:

He should have been to the dentist sooner. But call around and find one that deals with children and get an appointment. But the tooth will come out on its own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drakemom1
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM
A dentist comes to his school and makes sure there is nothing abnormal. Everything has always been a ok so we have never needed to go.

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

Quoting kmrtigger:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM

My daughter has her first loose tooth at 5.5yo & I was brushing her teeth for her since she was on antibiotics & noticed that the permanent tooth was behind the loose tooth!  I researched shark teeth & learned that some dentists will only wait 3 weeks before extraction of the baby tooth while others will wait 3 months.  I called her dentist, who was going out of town with Dentists Without Borders.  Apparently she is of the 3 week camp, because the farther in the permanent tooth, the harder the baby tooth is to pull.  Since she was leaving town, however, we agreed that we would schedule an extraction for Aug 9, & cancel it if she can lose the tooth beforehand.  So, Shayna's job is wiggle, wiggle, wiggle that tooth!

Your situation is much more difficult than Shayna's.  Although Shayna can't tolerate x-rays, even with laughing gas, due to an exaggerated gag reflex, she is otherwise very compliant with the dentist & is not emotionally or cognitively disabled.  I would recommend finding a pediatric dentist that specializes in working with kids on the autism spectrum.  I don't think that you can just ignore the issue if it is causing crooked teeth, etc.

Good Luck Mama!

Samantha

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, mom, don't feel judged.  Or, if folks are judging you, don't let them bother you!  We all do what we can to be the best parent we can.  Clearly, oral issues are especially difficult for your son.  Its been a special circumstance!  You might also post the same question on an moms of children with autism group.  I'm sure that someone there will be able to elate.

Samantha

Quoting drakemom1:

A dentist comes to his school and makes sure there is nothing abnormal. Everything has always been a ok so we have never needed to go.

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

Quoting kmrtigger:

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

sunflowers12
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I would just watch on it for a while as long as its not causing him pain I think he will be ok... sometimes teeth just do weird things!!
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Is it getting looser? If not I would find a pediatric dentist. If it is get him to play with it as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN