Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My six year old is losing his baby teeth.  He has lost one of his front teeth and has gained two adult teeth.  The "shark teeth" aren't what freak me out, but the other front tooth is pushed almost all the way forward and has become crooked.  It wiggles a little but you think it would be looser since it's pretty much out.  I would upload a picture, but he has autism and refuses to let me mess with his mouth.  The crooked tooth has been like that for a month now and I am starting to get worried.  Has this ever happened to your child?  Do you think it's time to see a dentist?  I am hesitant on taking him because I know it will be a very eventful day trying to get him to cooperate.  He is non verbal and doesn't understand what I tell him so I am afraid he won't even let the dentist even take a peek.  Any ideas?

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-14):
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like a slacker.. My boys were 5&7 before I took them to the dentist..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drakemom1
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM
It came out on its own and the new tooth is in place :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Sweet! I am glad it just came out on it's own!

My dd was 5 and her bottom teeth were kind of lose but not a whole lot. I noticed her teeth starting to change and get crooked but not looser. Then I saw the adult teeth really coming in behind them. I called the dentist and they called it an emergency appt and scheduled her for the next day. They pulled both baby teeth and they still had long roots on them... They were coming out anytime soon.

The top front teeth were similar, but the other day, one of the top teeth came out on it's own. Root Gone.

Teeth fall out when the roots are dissolved, so it is tricky when the adult teeth come in before the baby tooth falls out. You never know how much of the root is still there.

But it definitely time to get him in for a cleaning. I know the school checks and everything has been fine, but xrays have to be taken they thoroughly check every tooth and put a protectant on the teeth that helps the enamel and prevent cavities. He should be seen for a cleaning every six months :-) my kiddos were under 2 when they started going. The oral sedation is very easy if needed, there are a couple other options also if he isn't having it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

There are dentist that work only with special needs children. They may have to put him under anesthesia.

My first thought, though, is.... if it's not bothering him, maybe you can just wait and see if it falls out on it's own. With that being said, he does need to see a dentist for cleaning and such, so you do need to find one that will be able to understand your son's needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN