Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

2 years of preschool or one? *edited*

So my son has a late august b-day. SO I know I want to wait until he turns 6 to start kindergarten but what I can't decide is if i should still start preschool when he is 4 and then he would have to repeat the same preschool when he is 5. or if i should just wait until he is 5 to start preschool? what have you ladies done... any thoughts opinions... insight would be great! thanks ladies.. my son will be 3 this yaer so I have a little bit to figure it out but i'm one who likes to have things figured out in advanced lol.

EDIT: I live in a very small town, surrounded by a whole lot of small towns. The only preschool option is thru the school. So it would be 4 1/2 days and it would be the same agenda each year. So he would literally be repeating the same year over. :)

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommyjenn84
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Idk... All my kids start at 2 and go until kinder. Personally id have him do two years, even if its the same. He probably wont notice or care.that its the same stuff a year later. And my kids just love going, making and playing with friends and the structure of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

My son started preschool at the age of 3 and he would have repeated it twice as his birthday is in September.  Well, then the district decided to do a junior kindergarten for kids like him but then we moved to another district.

family in the van   Mom of four

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Even if it is same curriculum each year, it doesn't mean that your son wouldn't learn new things by repeating the curriculum. I'm sure kids are lots of different levels, and so if the teacher accounts for those in the preschool, your child could still learn a lot even if the curriculum is repeated.

Have you toured the preschool and observed how a class is run?

ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I'm not really sure. my DD starts this fall. So I'll get a better idea of it then. I've looked at the rooms when iwas in the school. I'm going to talk to the teachers about it as well and see what they think. but I wont do that until like a year from now probably. I wish we had a daycare that did preschool type of thing i would do that for a year and then the school prek for a year and then kinder. :)

Quoting Barabell:

My son went to a daycare with age appropriate pre-school activities.

I think two years would be more beneficial than one. Have you toured the pre-school? Do they work on the kids based on their level? Usually at that age, kids levels are all over the place, and so if the program is designed to challenge your child no matter what level his is, I would go ahead and plan on two years of pre-school.

knagsmom
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

ds is born in march 15th. he is now 5 and starts kindergarten in september. dd is 3 and turns four in oct 13th. she will be in prek until she is almost 6yrs old. so she will get the same stuff 3 yrs. should be interesting but i think it will be ok. i thought they would be at the most 1 yr apart in school as they are 17 months apart

Tara922c
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I would start him in preschool at age 4, and at the end of the year, decide if you want him to repeat another year of preschool or start kindergarten. I would also work with him throughout this next year, and decide if he is ready for preschool next year. Kids can grow and advance so much in one year! My dd is in preschool this year and turned 5 last week. She will be considered a younger kindergartener. She is reading on a first grade level, so if I did hold her back until she turned six to start public kinder, it would only hurt her. She is already bored out of her mind in class, one more year of preschool would be torture on her!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Oh, then absolutely just one yr.

PinkieRed
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM
My kids did as well. They both went to a child development center run by our public school district. It was a wonderful program. I've always worked full time, so preschool was a necessity for us.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM
My youngest sister and I are 21 months apart in age, but she was always only a grade behind me in school.

She has a September birthday, so she started kindergarten early, when she was a month away from turning 5. And I have a December birthday, so I was 5 and 8 months when I started.

If our parents had waited to start her in school until she was almost 6, we'd probably have ended up two grades apart in school.

Quoting knagsmom:

ds is born in march 15th. he is now 5 and starts kindergarten in september. dd is 3 and turns four in oct 13th. she will be in prek until she is almost 6yrs old. so she will get the same stuff 3 yrs. should be interesting but i think it will be ok. i thought they would be at the most 1 yr apart in school as they are 17 months apart

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My daughter (May birthday) did 2 years of preschool (3's and 4's classes).  My sons are Oct and Jan birthdays.  They are doing 3 years of preschool (2.5's, 3's and PreK).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)