Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 years of preschool or one? *edited*

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 40 Replies

So my son has a late august b-day. SO I know I want to wait until he turns 6 to start kindergarten but what I can't decide is if i should still start preschool when he is 4 and then he would have to repeat the same preschool when he is 5. or if i should just wait until he is 5 to start preschool? what have you ladies done... any thoughts opinions... insight would be great! thanks ladies.. my son will be 3 this yaer so I have a little bit to figure it out but i'm one who likes to have things figured out in advanced lol.

EDIT: I live in a very small town, surrounded by a whole lot of small towns. The only preschool option is thru the school. So it would be 4 1/2 days and it would be the same agenda each year. So he would literally be repeating the same year over. :)

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 year. He will be in school for 19 years, once he starts kindergarten. Let him still be a toddler for another year. He has time for school later. Spend time with him cause once school starts you can't get that time back. My dd is at the end of her Kindergarten year and I miss her being a toddler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hk2kids
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The more school the better I figure.  I think the kids learn a lot in pre-school outside of ABC's & 123's.  They learn to follow a schedule, how to get along with other kids, and many other intangibles. 

A good option for your son may be Montessori school.  My oldest would have been in the same class for 2 years of pre-school and 1 year of kindergarten.  Long story about why she didn't end up doing kindergarten there but the good news is that she came out of pre-school reading! 

Not all preschools are full day.  The kids have alot of fun as well as learn stuff.  I believe that my kids preshool experiences were valuable. 

ClassyMom619
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Mine too. By the time Kindergarten started they were completely used to being in a classroom setting and didn't have any adjustment issues (which was the reason for going to preschool and pre-K in the first place).

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngelulu
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM
My DD did the same, she did 2 yrs of preschool (ages 3 & 4) and is finishing up her 1 year in kindergarten right now. Shee places in advanced and intermediate in all of her school testing.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

AmyParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM
This is my thought too. My dd's bday is dec 22 and I could put her in this fall but you only have so many years to just be a kid ya know?

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

1 year. He will be in school for 19 years, once he starts kindergarten. Let him still be a toddler for another year. He has time for school later. Spend time with him cause once school starts you can't get that time back. My dd is at the end of her Kindergarten year and I miss her being a toddler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofemy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The cutoff for K here is August 1st, so my dd misses it by 16 days.  When she should have been moving into K-3, due to having been with 2 year olds the year before, we tried to push her up to pre-K ( 4 year olds) so she would be in that class for 2 years.   This was at the recommendation of a grade school teacher and a speech therapist at that grade school.  We pushed her up.  Well, dd wasn't ready to skip a grade.  She didn't like skipping up to be with older kids, and she wasn't ready for the school work.  We put her back down.  If your kid can do pre-K twice, I would go for it, like we tried to do. 

Just remember that you want him to be 6 when he starts kindergarten - because you might change your mind when the time comes.  Most people who have replied to posts on CafeMom agree that older is better when it comes to starting kindergarten. Of course, there are those that disagree, too!  LOL

Chymerra
by Jolie on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Same here.  And it wasn't like I had them in school 5 days a week, 9-3.  They went 2 days a week, 3 hours (for 3 year old) and 3 days a week, 4 1/2 hours (for 4 years old).

Quoting ClassyMom619:

EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM
bump

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My boys did this as well.  They both have fall birthdays and turned 4 shortly after starting the 3 year old class, and turned 5 shortly after starting the 4 year old class.  Then turned 6 shortly after starting kindergarten.  That is what I would recommend doing.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)