Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

2 years of preschool or one? *edited*

So my son has a late august b-day. SO I know I want to wait until he turns 6 to start kindergarten but what I can't decide is if i should still start preschool when he is 4 and then he would have to repeat the same preschool when he is 5. or if i should just wait until he is 5 to start preschool? what have you ladies done... any thoughts opinions... insight would be great! thanks ladies.. my son will be 3 this yaer so I have a little bit to figure it out but i'm one who likes to have things figured out in advanced lol.

EDIT: I live in a very small town, surrounded by a whole lot of small towns. The only preschool option is thru the school. So it would be 4 1/2 days and it would be the same agenda each year. So he would literally be repeating the same year over. :)

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I live in a small town we only have a preschool year. so he would be repeating the same year over.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys did this as well.  They both have fall birthdays and turned 4 shortly after starting the 3 year old class, and turned 5 shortly after starting the 4 year old class.  Then turned 6 shortly after starting kindergarten.  That is what I would recommend doing.

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I live in a small town. He would be doing the same year over. I wish they did osmeting different for ages but probably because of the lack of students they dont. THey go 4 half days a week :).

Quoting Chymerra:

Same here.  And it wasn't like I had them in school 5 days a week, 9-3.  They went 2 days a week, 3 hours (for 3 year old) and 3 days a week, 4 1/2 hours (for 4 years old).

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

RiotousDigits
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM
My YDD had 3 years of "preK" and I hate it. Being special needed she needed it and was the right thing to do. Still hate that she lost so much time, though.

My ODD is a late summer birthday and only did 1year of peek. We delayed enrollment and she went as a 5 year old then started K at 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Is their a different pre-school that he could attend so it is not like he is being held back when you do two year?  Some places have 2 or 3 days a week instead of everyday for the younger kids.

2rays0fsun
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

my DD went to pre-K at 4. She's now in K, turns 6 next month and goes to 1st grade in the Fall. her school is an early childhood school (preschool - 1st) and they attend school year-round with four long breaks.

I liked her doing pre-K at 4. She was ready for school and loooved it. She's now advanced compared to the national average of her grade level so she has no problem keeping up at her age. More importantly she learned to work with others, and form relationships with classmates and teachers :) She's grown in a lot of ways :)

ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM

no not that i know of... i live in a small town surrounded by small towns lol.

Quoting MB13:

Is their a different pre-school that he could attend so it is not like he is being held back when you do two year?  Some places have 2 or 3 days a week instead of everyday for the younger kids.

mommytoeandb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM
We did two years and both started K on time. 9/25 & 6/21 birthdays with a 9/30 cut-off. Those were 3-year old and 4-year old classes. I'm so glad we sent them instead of waiting. They would have been bored!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

There are a lot of kids that do headstart and then preK before K. From what I have seen the ones that go earlier seem to do better. However I would see if there is a part time option when he is 4. That way he gets a taste of school but its not as long of a day. My son's birthday is in Jan so he started K when he was 5 and he didn't do preschool. He DID do a learning daycare where he learned much of what they learn in preK but he struggled a lot in K. I really wish I had found a way to make pre-K happen.

-BellaMorte-
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

If it's the same material i would just wait but start working on things like handwriting, colors, shapes, alphabet and numbers.  That way anything he has trouble with will be readdressed in school.

Siannashell
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
My daughter did two years! She loved it. While the first year was mostly basic preschool learning and play she made lots of friends and the second year she lead do much more. Writing , letter recognizaton she can even read small words. And all these are all great assets to start kindergarten with. So again I would say yes. Best of luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)