Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

2 years of preschool or one? *edited*

So my son has a late august b-day. SO I know I want to wait until he turns 6 to start kindergarten but what I can't decide is if i should still start preschool when he is 4 and then he would have to repeat the same preschool when he is 5. or if i should just wait until he is 5 to start preschool? what have you ladies done... any thoughts opinions... insight would be great! thanks ladies.. my son will be 3 this yaer so I have a little bit to figure it out but i'm one who likes to have things figured out in advanced lol.

EDIT: I live in a very small town, surrounded by a whole lot of small towns. The only preschool option is thru the school. So it would be 4 1/2 days and it would be the same agenda each year. So he would literally be repeating the same year over. :)

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lynn750
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I have a home preschool, so my kids were in preschool from the day they were born!  It's good for them to have friends their own age, learn to share, take turns, interact with others, follow directions, and learn to clean up.  They learn so many skills that parents often don't teach - writing their name, counting, recognizing numbers, colors, shapes, using scissors, recognizing money, and many other things. 

You can always start off having him go 2-3 days a week, or several half-days, then increase it up to five full days to get ready for what Kindergarten will be like.  Preschool will teach him things that you just can't, when it comes to interracting with other kids.  It may expose him to new foods he won't try for you, they may be able to get him to nap when you can't, he may learn some computer skills, and it will get him away from the t.v.

imafuswb
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Yup! And he loved it besides. Our younger son will be starting the same pattern this fall.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Mine too. By the time Kindergarten started they were completely used to being in a classroom setting and didn't have any adjustment issues (which was the reason for going to preschool and pre-K in the first place).

Quoting ClassyMom619:

Both of my children did 3 & 4 year pre-k so they had 2 years of school already by the time kindergarten started at 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Well, I don't know if I'll be much help because I did zero years of pre-school with my kids before they started Kindy.  My oldest has an Oct b-day so he was almost 6 when he started.  It seemed to work out fine.  Though I have to admit the main reason we didn't do pre-school at all was because of logistics.  Pre-school here is half-day and doesn't offer transportation so we would have to drive him ourselves.  I work a good 20-25 minutes away and DH works even further away.  The driving alone made it not worth it.

Personally though I would think 1 year of pre-school would be plenty.  I am an advocate of let them just be kids for a while before introducing the whole school concept.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

My kids had 2 yrs of preschool. I think the yr before they started K was the most beneficial. No more than 1 yr is needed (and some would argue that preschool isn't needed at all). Enjoy your time with your little one. Once they get into school, they seem to grow up so much faster.  

_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Mine have done 2 years of preschool.  Here there is a 3/4 program 5 hours a week and a 4/5 program 7.5 hours a week.
If he would be in the same program both years I think I would personally do one year.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

My son went to a daycare with age appropriate pre-school activities.

I think two years would be more beneficial than one. Have you toured the pre-school? Do they work on the kids based on their level? Usually at that age, kids levels are all over the place, and so if the program is designed to challenge your child no matter what level his is, I would go ahead and plan on two years of pre-school.

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM
My son started Junior kindergarten when he was 3.. He turned 4 in December.. Meh, why not? He gets social interaction with other kids his age, I get to spend time alone with my little girl.. Everybody wins in my situation. He goes all day, everyday. From 8:30- 3. :-) Its done him a lot of good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Binkxo
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

As soon as my daughter turned 3 she was DYING to go to school, so she is doing 2 ½ years of Preschool, 1 ½ of 3 year old, and 1 year of four, even though she will be 5 when she "Graduates" 

ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM

We only have a 4 day a week preschool. So if he goes when he's 4 as well as when he is five it will be a 4 day week... they are 1/2 days though. I dont think the school will let me do only 2 or 3 days if i want instead of the normal 4. but i guess its something to look into. we dont have any daycares around here either that do preschool

Quoting Lynn750:

I have a home preschool, so my kids were in preschool from the day they were born!  It's good for them to have friends their own age, learn to share, take turns, interact with others, follow directions, and learn to clean up.  They learn so many skills that parents often don't teach - writing their name, counting, recognizing numbers, colors, shapes, using scissors, recognizing money, and many other things. 

You can always start off having him go 2-3 days a week, or several half-days, then increase it up to five full days to get ready for what Kindergarten will be like.  Preschool will teach him things that you just can't, when it comes to interracting with other kids.  It may expose him to new foods he won't try for you, they may be able to get him to nap when you can't, he may learn some computer skills, and it will get him away from the t.v.

ilovemykids323
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

BUMP so I dont have to keep repeating myself :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN