Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Handicapped Restrooms???

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM
  • 409 Replies

Are handicapped restrooms like handicapped parking spaces?  Are they not to be used by those who are not handicapped?   Very curious to see what you think. 

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
10 moms liked this

I used them when the kids were younger and I had to take the stoller in w/ me, and when having to take the younger 2 into the stall w/ me. 

I usually try to not use it, but will if dd or I REALLY have to go and the others are in use.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
We use them. Ds has sensory issues and possibly autism. He cant handle the small ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM
13 moms liked this

I try not to use them, but sometimes you have to.  They put the changing tables inside those stalls, so it's kind of hard to avoid using it.  If there is someone handicapped, then I will let them go first, but if no one is in there, then there should be no problem.  It bothers me when there are obviously handicapped people waiting for that stall, and someone young person comes out after spending 10 minutes in there.  If I do use the handicapped stall, then I hurry as best as I can.  

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this

They are not the same as the parking spaces. You can get a ticket if you park in a parking space without a permit.

I only use them when it's an emergncy and no other stall is open.

auroragold
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM
9 moms liked this

out of common courtesy I wouldn't use one if other stalls were available. However, if the restroom is crowded and/or there's a line, I'll use it.  It's a lot different than a parking space:  I'll be in and out of the stall in 30-45 seconds; not so for a parking space

illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM
13 moms liked this

I use them all the time and have no shame in doing it. If my 14 month old is in her stroller we are going to use a bigger stall. Unless there is a lady in a wheelchair in line behind me I'm going to use the handicap stall.

If I am by myself I use a normal size stall. I am never by myself though. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

If there's a regular stall available I won't use the handicapped stall but if there isn't, then of course I do.  If there's someone waiting who needs the stall, I'd let them go ahead of me.

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM
3 moms liked this

no its illegal to park in handicapped parking spaces it is not illigal to use a handicapped bathroom with out a toilet placard lol (they don't make toilet placards). some ppl need the bigger stall often too that is where they put the baby changing table...

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't like small spaces. The normal stalls are to confined for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolvesfire
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The restroom in Founder's Hall only had the handicapped stall and then one other stall where my EDP&L 259 class was spring quarter. Hopewell Hall had lots of restrooms but Warner Center's bathroom only had 2 regular stalls and 1 handicap stall.  There was never anyone in the restrooms when I went so I used the handicap stalls in Warner Center and Founders Hall and used regular stall in Hopewell Hall.  Usually the diaper changing table is in the handicap stalls though so you have to go in there to change baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)