Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are handicapped restrooms like handicapped parking spaces?  Are they not to be used by those who are not handicapped?   Very curious to see what you think. 

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Like most of the PPs, I will use them if that's all there is. I'm not going to slow down that bathroom line by leaving it vacant on the off chance a person who needs will come in. If they do, I will be out in a minute. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

OP, what are your thoughts on this?

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM
I do have to say it really bothers me when we are standing in a line waiting and my poor little guy is standing there dancing and crying that he cant wait to use the potty (he has urinary issues as well) and that he hopes the big stall opens soon because he cant go in the little one. Someone comes out of the big stall and the person in front of us looks right at him and I know they hear him but they don't let him have it! They just go ahead themselves! I know they don't have to let him have it and I don't say anything but come on, can we have some curtosy here?
they usually come out of the stall to a crying, embarrassed little boy with wet pants. And I just feel like screaming at them "was it worth it?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I do have to say it really bothers me when we are standing in a line waiting and my poor little guy is standing there dancing and crying that he cant wait to use the potty (he has urinary issues as well) and that he hopes the big stall opens soon because he cant go in the little one. Someone comes out of the big stall and the person in front of us looks right at him and I know they hear him but they don't let him have it! They just go ahead themselves! I know they don't have to let him have it and I don't say anything but come on, can we have some curtosy here?
they usually come out of the stall to a crying, embarrassed little boy with wet pants. And I just feel like screaming at them "was it worth it?"

Why can't he use the regular stalls?

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM
He has sensory issues, urinary issues, and likely autism plus we have been dealing with a lot of anxiety. The small stalls terrify him.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I only use them in an emergency, or if I have the stroller with me.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 4 1/2 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David - 4/12/2012 - newborns

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM
I do use them if need to be.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I doubt most people realize that when they use the stall. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

He has sensory issues, urinary issues, and likely autism plus we have been dealing with a lot of anxiety. The small stalls terrify him.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Considering that it's not against the law to do so, if there is a line and no one in line is handicapped, I use it. Come on I have saw people with handicap plates and things in their window park in parking spaces for non handicap people, b/c it was a bit closer than the available handicap spot. How is that any different than me using the bathroom stall.

Cara5
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM
4 moms liked this

No, a handicap stall is not a reserved stall like a handicap parking space is a reserved parking space. 

If you are tall enough to reach the higher water fountain does that mean you cant use the lower one? 

Should you use the stairs instead of the ramp because a person in a wheelchair might come along and need the ramp?  

Should you not use elevators since you are able to walk up stairs? 

Having accessible accommodations is a good, and necessary part of our society, but they were put in place so people with different levels of ability can access things just like everyone else, and when you are in a crowded public area "just like everyone else" means that you might have to wait a few minuets to get a drink of water, use the restroom stall, wait for the elevator to come to your floor or use the ramp that someone is walking on. 

If I am standing in line in a restroom and someone who obviously needs the bigger stall comes along behind me...maybe its someone in a wheelchair, or maybe its someone with a baby that needs the changing table...I will let them go ahead of me, because I can use any of the next 7 stalls that come open.   Otherwise, if the handicap stall is the next one open, im going to use it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN