Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

talk to your kids about sex? ive been telling my husband for several months now that i think we need to talk to our 9 year old (almost 10) about sex but he says its way to early! i think we really need to talk to him before he learns about it from someelse and maybe even gets incorrect information. weve talked with him about drugs and addiction and things like that but when it comes to sex my husband like freaks about talking to the kids. i told him i would do it but hes like adamant that he thinks its too early and im gonna screw up his head or something. what age did u talk to your kids about it? and how did u initiate the conversation???

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
rnmom4lif
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM

yeah thats kind of what i had said to my husband- i was like ok well lets just try and intitate a conversation about puberty and his body changing and then go from there. let him ask us questions and just answer his honestly and truthfully and let him guide the conversation. im hoping after showing him some of these posts on here he will see im not crazy and we need to at the very least talk with him about puberty.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Well, I think I was about 10 or 11 years old when I learned the mechanics of sex - and I learned it from a friend.  That was back in the mid '80's.  So I would say that if you don't want him learning from a friend first, you probably shouldn't wait too much longer.

Has he already learned all about puberty and what is going to happen to his body?  IMO, that should come before talking about sexual intercourse.  And you really don't want to hit him with everything all at once.  Has he come to either of you with questions?  That would be a good place to start - answer the questions that he has and then see if it generates more for him or not.  Sort of let him lead the conversation , letting him decide how much is too little or too much information.

squeekers
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

we began in 4th grade prior to the sex ed classes given by the school doctrine.

MeggieLee22
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I don't know about boys but I know girls seem to be hitting puberty earlier and earlier.  I know a couple kids who had theirs when they were 10.  10 OMG I can't even wrap my head around that.  My DD is 7 and I can't imagine having to try to explain it to her, but I know I'm going to have to bring it up soon so it doesn't catch her by surprise.

brannew
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

We have two snails.  The kids are asking why they are always on top of each other.  We've explained as much as we can to a 7 and 5 year old.  Did it sink in?  I doubt it. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Your ds is almost 10? You need to have already started talking w/ him about puberty. Kids are hitting puberty earlier than ever, and your son most likely already has the hormones a-poppin'. He's probably also already heard things at school, and you want to make sure he has accurate information. 

Ds1 started using deodorant at 7, and about month before his 10th b-day announced there was some hair growing in his armpits. Ds2 is developing more slowly, but at 8, we're already getting the beginnings of the preteen, hormone-related attitude.

rnmom4lif
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

yeah he knows about growing hair and his voice changing but weve never talked to him about erections, wet dreams, sex or anything like that. he knows that to have a baby u have to have a mom and dad and he knows the dad has to plant some kind of "seed" inside the mommy to help the baby grow but that was the last conversation we had about it and that was like 3 years ago.....now that ive shown my husband some of these posts though hes finally starting to see that im not crazy! he actually sat down with me tonight and came up with some ideas about how to talk to him and what things we need to cover. 

Quoting wakymom:

Your ds is almost 10? You need to have already started talking w/ him about puberty. Kids are hitting puberty earlier than ever, and your son most likely already has the hormones a-poppin'. He's probably also already heard things at school, and you want to make sure he has accurate information. 

Ds1 started using deodorant at 7, and about month before his 10th b-day announced there was some hair growing in his armpits. Ds2 is developing more slowly, but at 8, we're already getting the beginnings of the preteen, hormone-related attitude.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting auroragold:

way before age 9 for sure.

I see it as a series of ongoing conversations that are applicable to his/her age. Not everything needs to be said in one sitting

family in the van   Mom of four

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
My kids were 10,8&6. One of them had a question so i talked to all of them at same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri.a
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I think both parents should be involved in teaching.  A woman's point of view to a boy and a man's point of view to a girl will help them be more well rounded.  I also believe that kids should be taught frankly about their bodies & how they work, then about the actual mechanics of sex, then about the emotional aspects of sex/love/lust/companionship, in that order over a period of time rather than in one session.  I would rather talk to my kids about puberty and sex than death!

vlester
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

i think i sarted a series of sex talks like 7 and each year i build on it. But whether u talk about it or not let me tell u they know some things especially if they are going to school. Because when  my son was in Pre-K, 4 ear olds knew a lotabout sex already and i was like wtf. SO thats when i started to talk to my son because i do not want any kids teaching my son about sex. Plus my mom never had a talk with me about it and I wanted to be a better mom when it came to talking about sex with my children. Because now in 5th grade the kids are going on puberty field trips and  bbringing home puberty pamphlets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)